Dean of Engineering and Computer Science
On 2 March 2018, the Prime Minister of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam approved a proposal by VinGroup to create a new university in Vietnam, to be known as VinUniversity, or “VinUni”.
VinUni has strategic collaborations with the world’s leading universities, including Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. These universities have become close advisors and crucial enablers in establishing the three colleges at VinUni: College of Business and Management, College of Engineering and Computer Science, and College of Health Sciences. Every aspect of the University: its curricula, research, faculty, student body, facilities, and campus life, is being developed to meet the highest standards set by the world’s leading accrediting and ranking organizations, such as ABET, AACSB, Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) and Times Higher Education (THE).
VinUniversity is the first private, not-for-profit Vietnamese university established based on international standards. The university integrates the models of excellent international universities with the unique cultural and economic characteristics of Vietnam, in order to make a breakthrough in Vietnamese higher education and to become a world-class university.
The mission of VinUniversity is to educate and train outstanding individuals, who are knowledgeable, capable, and passionate about contributing to improving themselves and societal conditions, inspiring the current and next generations, and making lasting positive impacts on global development.
On October 17th, 2020, the First Convocation of the first academic year 2020-2021 at VinUniversity marked the anniversary of opening the first talented and not for profit private university in Vietnam.
At the dawn of our Convocation, VinUniversity has been duly recognized by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) with 5-star ratings in the 3 evaluative criteria of Facilities, Academic Development, and Inclusiveness. Factually, QS reserves high regard for VinUni’s commitment to developing its academic environment guaranteeing 100% participation of faculty in mandatory training sessions to standardize and foster the pedagogy of active learning. Furthermore, every student is matched with an academic advisor who will closely mentor them throughout the entire program duration. QS likewise awards a 5-star rating for the university’s state-of-the-art facilities equipped with modern lecture halls, classrooms, stadium, dorms, library, healthcare facilities, etc.
The university’s policy for inclusiveness is also deemed holistic and thoughtful. Talented students are provided with the best support, regardless of their personal status. This effort is rated 5-star for effectively distribute the generous support from the founding donor—Vingroup JSC--as scholarships and financial aids to deserving students.
VinUniversity was founded by Vingroup Joint Stock Company (Vingroup JSC) as a private, not-for-profit university for the purpose of fostering and developing talents for the future.
Vingroup is one of the biggest private conglomerates in Asia with the largest market capitalization value in Vietnam. As a multisector corporation, Vingroup focuses on three main areas: Technology; Industrials; and Property Services.
Vingroup continues to pioneer and lead consumer trends in each of its businesses, introducing Vietnamese consumers to a brand new, modern lifestyle with international-standard products and services. Vingroup has created a respected, well-recognized Vietnamese brand and is proud to be one of the nation’s leading private enterprises.
VinUni is proud to be a part of the Vingroup ecosystem, giving our students opportunities to connect with several reputable research institutes (such as VinAI, VinBrain, and Vin BigData), pioneering industrial enterprises (such as VinSmart and VinFast), and leading Vietnamese companies (such as Vinpearl, Vincom Retail, Vinmec, and Vinhomes)
For the position of Dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science, VinUniversity seeks an entrepreneurial academic leader with rigorous academic credentials in computer science or engineering, with a record of excellence in teaching and research, and with strong administrative leadership gained in a large, complex, and diverse higher education environment.
The Dean is the chief intellectual leader of the College and an advocate for the mission of the College’s academic programs. The Dean reports to the Provost, works with other leaders and colleagues across the University to pursue the vision and goals of the College, and communicates the vision and goals to constituencies within, and external to, VinUniversity. She/he will support and promote the highest quality educational programs, research, public service, and economic development activities of the College.
Respect for shared governance and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, yet decisively, will be important attributes. Additionally, the successful candidate most likely will have held a senior administrative appointment in a university-system setting with experience working with governing boards, administration, and faculty. A sophisticated understanding of financial and operational drivers of performance in a university is critical. The successful candidate must also be a passionate champion of the importance of computer science or engineering and its contributions to the world.
- Ensure alignment of the College with VinUniversity’s vision and mission. Assist the University and the community with economic and entrepreneurship goals.
- Propel VinUniversity along its path to becoming an emerging research institution. As such, the Dean must work with faculty to develop the College’s research portfolio.
- Promote, encourage, and incentivize interdisciplinary collaborations within the College and across the colleges at VinUniversity.
- Oversee all academic programs in the College as well as the centers/institutes within it. Make sure the academic programs meet the evolving mission of the College, align with the College’s strategic plan, and meet the needs of the students and faculty.
- Work with all constituency groups to ensure that the academic programs of the College approach high international, national, and regional ranking and that the programs are well placed with respect to the College’s peer or aspirational benchmark group.
- Play a key oversight role in the accreditation process and program review for continuous improvement of the College.
- Recruit and retain high-quality faculty and staff. Recommend appointment, promotion, and professional development of faculty members after consultation with appropriate unit/department chairs.
- Design marketing strategies to promote the College to prospective students. Collaborate with the university’s admission division to recruit, retain, and graduate high-quality students.
- Ensure student success in and beyond the classroom by building educational and student-life programs that will enable students to become productive citizens who value and pursue community engagement.
- Proactively search for potential fundraising prospects and maintain sustainable research funds.
- Oversee mutually beneficial partnerships between the College and business/industry, not-for-profit organizations, and other educational institutions. Nurture industry relationships that provide student internships, graduate career opportunities, scholarships, and other fundraising prospects.
- Oversee efficient and effective internal operations of the College. Coordinate and manage the activities of the College’s advisory council(s), committees, and boards.
- Ensure effective communications with VinUniversity’s leaders.
- Design and ensure the sustainable financial model of the college, proactively search for initiatives to yield additional revenue, and funds for the College.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A distinguished scholar with academic record to warrant the position of full professor at an international standard university
- Demonstrated experience with educational accreditations and regulations (i.e., ABET)
- Demonstrated successful experience in progressively responsible teaching, administrative, and educational leadership positions preferably of a large and complex academic institution
- Demonstrated successful experience in strategic planning, fiscal management, resource allocation, and personnel supervision preferably of a large and complex academic institution
- Evidence of experience and a strong commitment to the development and support of interprofessional education in undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate education
- Evidence of commitment to the development and support of interdisciplinary and international activities and programs
- An appreciative understanding of the challenges that inevitably arise from the operation of a new University, with the patience, resilience, and ability to work collaboratively with diverse constituents of an institution to effectively resolve challenges and build opportunities to promote the mission and vision of the College/University
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Broad knowledge of the philosophy and mission of private, not-for-profit, and world-class universities
- Knowledge of curriculum design and its application to sound academic management
- Ability and skill in the design and application of methods for the evaluation of faculty and staff
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, complex ideas and recommendations
- Ability to carry out the functions of leadership along with a planned program of institutional direction
- Ability to manage a college/school academic budget and ability to establish and monitor fiscal accountability within the areas of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff, and students as well as community groups of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds
- Evidence of strong professional networks
- Respect and advocate for the core values of the university: EXCEL (E: Empathy, X: Exceptional Capability, C: Creativity, E: Entrepreneurial Mindset, L: Leadership Spirit).
- Have a spirit and passion for education; demonstrate distinction and/or promise in research, innovation, and other creative work; take prompt actions with determination and be ready to take on new challenges.
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send (1) a resume, (2) a cover letter, and other relevant qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning March 2021 and will continue until the position are filled. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit to the Search Committee at the email address above a letter of nomination that includes the candidate’s contact information (email addresses and phone numbers). The desired start date is as early as August 2021 up until September 2021, subject to negotiation.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Working permit: VinUniversity will assist in and provide advice for obtaining the necessary paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, working permit, insurance, etc.)
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living and expatriates can live a very comfortable life here with a moderate expenditure.
Apply for Dean of Engineering and Computer Science
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly