Associate Director, Financial Planning and Analysis
Associate Director of Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) for YSM will report to the Director of FP&A in the Yale School of Medicine (YSM). This position will be responsible for supporting the budgeting and planning process and building a strong financial analysis core team within YSM working closely with departments to develop comprehensive financial reports and identify reporting and analysis process improvements. This position will provide strong analytical support and problem solving to address issues commonly found in large, complex academic institutions.
This role will directly supervise several analysts and indirectly lead a broader team of finance professionals from Yale Medicine Finance and YSM Departments.
The Associate Director will play a key role in the development of YSM’s strategic financial plan by creating modeling scenarios with YSM and University leadership for the annual budget, monitoring and long-range plan. The ideal candidate must have the ability to obtain knowledge from a variety of Medical School and University functional areas, including budgeting and planning, financial modeling, financial controls, space planning and analysis, Human Resources, General Ledger, the YSM clinical enterprise, and Grant and Contract financial administration. The position also requires working independently, leading project teams, improving information processes and reporting.
- Partner with the Director of FP&A, YSM to provide comprehensive financial information, analysis and advice to optimize the School’s financial resources.
- Provide support for the School’s Office of the Dean, Financial Operations, Departments and University for financial inquiries as needed.
- Analyze financial and operational activities including gathering historical data, providing recommendations and quality control.
- Develop, implement and partner with FP&A Director to achieve the team’s goals to support long term strategic planning, translate the strategy into actions, recognize and raise potential issues, and bring ideas and solutions to FP&A Director.
- Consult with Departments that are having financial challenges to identify trends and improvement opportunities.
- Utilize in-depth technical expertise to extract, combine, analyze, format and present data by designing advanced technical solutions using a variety of query and data retrieval tools.
- Develop standardized reports for the School and Departments to use to evaluate financial performance.
- Work in conjunction with leaders from the medical school and University to develop long range plan models to do strategic planning for the medical school by mission and by aggregated department groupings.
- Supervise and mentor staff to achieve FP&A’s strategic plans.
- Perform other projects as required by the Director of FP&A for YSM and other school leadership.
1. Directs, monitors, and assesses needs and directs the application of resources of an administrative University office dealing with one or more major functional areas. 2. Directs and implements solutions to problems that are routine to complex in nature and that affect multiple functional areas of responsibility. 3. Plans and/or participates in planning University activities on a long-term basis to comply with University goals and objectives. 4. Establishes and implements consistent university-wide policies in multiple functional areas of responsibility. 5. Ensures that University office policies and procedures are in compliance with federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. 6. Develops and monitors goals and objectives for managerial and professional staff in compliance with University strategies. 7. Directs a staff of exempt and non-exempt employees. 8. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in related field and eight years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to supervise and manage direct reports on a day to day basis.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated project management skills with the ability to lead project teams and prioritize multiple projects.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated experience and application of financial, accounting and economic concepts with the ability to analyze and interpret complex business data, processes and reporting.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Demonstrated MS Excel experience with the ability to use query and reporting tools, create financial models, link large, complex workbooks, perform lookups, parse and combine data, format worksheets, work with pivots, charts, graphs and other advanced Excel skills.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills with the ability to clearly articulate complex analysis, make independent decisions, prioritize multiple projects and perform under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
MBA or CPA
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus