Administrative Assistant, Weitzman School of Design Admissions and Financial Aid Office
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary
The Admissions Assistant is the critical first point of contact for a high volume of applicants and students, independently responding to walk-ins, phone calls, e-mails, and web-based requests for information. Under limited supervision, assist in the day to day operation of the Weitzman School of Design Admissions and Financial Aid Office. Create entries for Admission’s social media and assist with the processing of admissions applications, including updating records, scanning documents, calculating GPAs, and looking up and matching test scores. Assist in coordinating and attending recruiting events and two Open Houses per year. Look up student contributions and post financial aid awards in SAM and Grad Funding system. Work in University’s Student Records System mainframe to ensure proper processing of admitted students, deferrals, and entering students; CollegeNet front-end application system; and FileMaker Pro back-end database.
- Provide customer service to students and prospective applicants including general admissions and financial aid counseling
- Process applications, open mail, download and scan transcripts, retrieve electronic transcripts and WES course-by-course evaluations, and update records in CollegeNET
- Assist with planning and staffing Open Houses; set up and participate in web chats and webinars, create entries for social media; update our website, including profiles of up to 20 student ambassadors
- Help set up and coordinate recruitment events and attend when appropriate Post financial aid awards, look up information in SAM/Pennant, GradFunding, and Student Accounts
- Help prepare viewbook as well as materials for admissions and recruitment packets and mailings, and recruiting events
- Generate click reports from email campaigns in CollegeNET; compile surveys from Qualtrics of Open House attendees, matriculants, and non-matriculants
- Perform additional duties as assigned
High School diploma or equivalent and 3 to 5 years prior office experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience, are required; BA or BS preferred. Desktop computer experience required, with experience in spreadsheet, word processing, database and e-mail applications; strong public relations skills and ability to interact with people of diverse backgrounds essential; must be able to work well under pressure and handle multiple tasks simultaneously; fine attention to detail; self motivation and initiative valued; knowledge of admissions/financial aid processes preferred. This position requires strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
Office, library, computer room
Typically sitting at a desk or table
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Design
$17.58 - $31.65
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.