First Veterinary Nurse Reception Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
ONDERSTEPOORT VETERINARY ACADEMIC HOSPITAL
FIRST VETERINARY NURSE (RECEPTION): OVAH
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 9
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- The optimal functioning of the front desk by being organised, professional, friendly and efficient in attending to clients; staff; students and the general public;
- Performing patient assessment by evaluating patients to determine the urgency of their need for medical assistance, and re-evaluating patients who wait for any length of time;
- Advising clients professionally by telephone and face to face, through the utilisation of veterinary nursing knowledge and training;
- Providing knowledgeable professional advice concerning the care and treatment of animals including questions regarding hospital services, fees, patient (animal) care and treatment in accordance with hospital policies;
- Selling pet foods over the counter. Exercise a technical knowledge of products sold and give advice;
- Performing all cashier functions accurately and ensure that financial policy is correctly adhered to;
- Evaluating applications from students interested in working after-hours shifts at the front desk;
- Training of after-hours personnel to ensure that they are able work efficiently on UVIS and also handle emotional/difficult clients appropriately;
- Handling telephone calls/enquiries/messages/liaison;
- Booking appointments on UVIS;
- Registering of new cases on UVIS;
- Sending general e-mails;
- Preparing files for scanning;
- Providing final discharge information; and
- Day to day receptions tasks.
- Diploma in Veterinary Nursing (DipCurAnim or Dip Vet Nursing);
- Registration with the South African Veterinary Council;
- Three years’ veterinary working experience and clinic management;
- Working knowledge of the University Veterinary Information System (UVIS) software package.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Knowledge of small animal nursing procedures, biosecurity measures and procedures and handling of all types of small animals;
- Meticulous about detail, professional and a responsible person;
- Appropriate language and communication skills;
- Organizing skills and a strong service orientation;
- Physical mobility;
- Ability to work under pressure and without supervision;
- Computer literacy;
- Ability to work weekends and outside normal working hours when required for continuous service delivery in the hospital.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCE
Previous and/or current experience of one year or more in a high pressure emergency clinic environment where patients are triaged and multiple emergency procedures take place simultaneously, will be an advantage.
The total remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
A comprehensive CV;
Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
CLOSING DATE: 15 January 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Granny Maseko, firstname.lastname@example.org for application-related enquiries and contact Matron Amanda Hamman, (012) 529 8064 for enquiries relating to post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 March 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to make an appointment to the posts as advertised.