Senior Application Developer, Wharton Computing and Instructional Technology
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs
Job Description Summary
The Senior Application Developer will support Wharton Interactive and Analytics at Wharton in the design, scope, and execution of Wharton Data Analytics Applications (WDAA).
Wharton Interactive develops innovative platforms, simulations, and games to create new kinds of learning experiences to transform and democratize education. Grounded in research and extensive experience, Wharton Interactive's simulations create active learning opportunities that challenge students to effectively apply theoretical concepts and ultimately own their learning.
The Senior Application Developer will support Wharton Interactive and Analytics at Wharton in the design, scope, and execution of Wharton Data Analytics Applications (WDAA). WDAA are business analytics and data science case studies that use real-world or simulated data and code to teach business concepts. The Senior Application Developer will work with Wharton faculty and various research centers to on-board, develop, and launch data analytics applications on Wharton Interactive’s marketplace and platforms.
• Manage all core data analytics functions related to the design and execution of Wharton Data Analytics Applications in partnership with staff from Wharton Interactive, Analytics at Wharton, Wharton faculty and internal and external partners.
• Collaborate with faculty, instructional designers, and campus departments to scope data applications, delegate and manage tasks, execute project timelines and coordinate with partners to oversee the development of data applications from inception to completion.
• Coordinate technical infrastructure and data management including extracting datasets, coordinating preliminary analysis of datasets, and developing and documenting code for data applications within the Wharton Interactive and AWS (Sagemaker Studio) digital environment.
• Interact with data application authors ensuring the interactive experience delivers on the specified teaching and learning goals, hypothesize various outcomes of the analytics, assist with testing code and observe case use in the classroom
• Develop technical documentation and collaborate with Wharton Interactive and external vendors to ensure technology operations follow computing standards.
• Operate within an agile team, utilizing productivity tools such as the Atlassian stack, Slack, and modern coding practices such as test driven development managed via a continuous integration pipeline to AWS.
• Bachelor’s degree is required in computer science or a related field
• Preference for Master’s Degree or other relevant coursework/certificate and 3-5 years of experience using databases and data analysis tools or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience with SQL, and coding in Python or R, and Data Visualization required.
• Experience with building in AWS Sagemaker Studio and/or Jupyter Notebooks
• Experience working on agile teams, utilizing the Atlassian stack
• Proficiency with data analysis and basic statistical modeling.
• Familiarity with database design and management (e.g. MySQL) and managing cloud-based data infrastructures such as AWS.
• Strong organizational skills and an ability to manage multiple complex projects with diverse audiences and varying deadlines from end to end is essential.
• Experience designing, scoping, and scaling data based and data analytics projects with organizations. Ability to identify relevant and interesting business questions, supporting datasets, and an understanding of the implementation of solutions.
• Strong communication, writing, and presentation skills with the ability to translate between technical processes and educational insights.
Office, library, computer room
Typically sitting at a desk or table
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
$59,703.00 - $168,837.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.