Veterinary Head Nurse, Emergency
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Profile Title
Veterinary Head Nurse
Job Description Summary
Veterinary Head Nurse will manage a growing staff of full time and part time credentialed veterinary nurses and veterinary assistants. Responsible to ensuring 24/7 coverage.
Veterinary Head Nurse
- Manage a growing staff of credentialed veterinary technicians and VTS specialists.
- Active, on the floor, supervisor with scheduled time off floor for administrative duties.
- Schedule may be varied, depending on the needs of the service.
- Provide vision and leadership for the service.
- Recruit competent staff to meet operational needs of the hospital.
- Properly orient staff to their roles, accountabilities and performance measures.
- Promote positive employee relations and team work.
- Promote career development of your staff.
- Clearly define work expectations.
- Address performance issues immediately and directly, as well as conduct annual performance appraisals.
- Collaborate with other supervisors, clinicians and administration to improve patient care and customer service.
- Collaborate with the ES clinicians to create policies and procedures relating to the operation of ES.
- Ensure coverage for 24/7 operation, including sharing on call responsibilities with the staff and assistant supervisor.
- Management of ES Omnicell
- “Workday” payroll and recruitment
- Must possess advanced knowledge of Critical Care Nursing with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in critical care.
- Previous management experience preferred.
- Must be a CVT. Those with VTS certification or progress towards certification will be given highest consideration.
- Strong interpersonal skills and leadership qualities.
- Strong organizational skills
This position requires physical effort. Frequently standing, crouching, kneeling, reaching. Must be able to lift 25 or more with assistance. High noise environment at times.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Veterinary Medicine
$50,684.00 - $91,232.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.