MOCVD Laboratory Manager
6 days left
- Full Time
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
The Stanford Nanofabrication Facility (SNF) is comprised of a Cleanroom and satellite labs providing equipment and expertise in nanoscale science and engineering to researchers at Stanford and beyond -- from academic, industrial, and government labs across the US and around the globe. Last year, nearly 600 researchers made use of SNF, in applications ranging from medicine and biology to fundamental physics and astronomy. More than a set of labs, it is a vibrant research community.
We seek an energetic technologist to oversee and shape the MOCVD lab operation to meet evolving research needs. As a successful candidate, you have a strong technical background in fabrication and characterization of WBG structures and materials, a love for teaching and a taste for entrepreneurship. You are hands-on and lead by example. You are proactive, resourceful, and thrive on bringing people together to find solutions to complex problems. You can juggle multiple projects and be ready with a “plan B” to meet shifting priorities. And you are inspired by our mission: to enable a vibrant, diverse community of researchers who make stuff to better understand and improve the world.
In this role, you will:
- Provide leadership and scientific expertise in the planning and implementation of major projects, services, facilities, and activities in support of our world-class researchers.
- Develop advanced technological ideas and new approaches that support advancement of research.
- Provide expert consultation and collaboration regarding technical requirements, capabilities, and advancement opportunities across diverse technical areas.
- Provide technical direction to other research staff, engineering associates, technicians, and/or students; facilitate workshops and demonstrations on research methods; educate and train users on research methodology and effective tools and techniques.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Expert knowledge of the principles of engineering and related natural sciences.
- Demonstrated project leadership experience.
Preferred requirements include
- Advanced degree and publication record in a technical field.
- Experience in managing a budget and developing financial plans.
- Experience in facilitating program partnerships and funding opportunities.
- Advanced oral, written and analytical skills.
- Frequently grasp lightly/fine manipulation, perform desk-based computer tasks, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Occasionally stand/walk, sit, twist/bend/stoop/squat, grasp forcefully.
- Rarely kneel/crawl, climb (ladders, scaffolds, or other), reach/work above shoulders, use a telephone, writing by hand, sort/file paperwork or parts, operate foot and/or hand controls, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh >40 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- May be exposed to high voltage electricity, radiation or electromagnetic fields, lasers, noise > 80dB TWA, Allergens/Biohazards/Chemicals /Asbestos, confined spaces, working at heights <10 feet, temperature extremes, heavy metals, unusual work hours or routine overtime and/or inclement weather.
- May require travel.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4982
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: K
- Requisition ID: 87912