5 days left
- Part Time
Laboratory Assistant 2
Pay Grade/Step: A16
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Department: School of Engeering, Department of Bioengineering
The mission of Stanford's Department of Bioengineering is to create a fusion of engineering and the life sciences that promote scientific discovery and the development of new biomedical technologies and therapies through research and education.
The Department of Bioengineering is jointly supported by the Schools of Medicine and Engineering. It includes, in a single department, research and teaching programs that embrace biology as a new engineering paradigm and apply engineering principles to medical problems and biological systems.
The School of Engineering, Department of Bioengineering, seeks a Laboratory Assistant 2 to support the Fischbach Lab, which studies the human microbiome. Reporting to the lab manager, this position is critical in supporting our team of over twenty scientists. You will provide support by maintaining clean glassware, preparing media, reagents, and buffers for the proper culturing of a variety of bacteria isolated from humans. As a collaborator with scientists on many projects, you will become familiar with different media preparations and reagents used to culture specific bacteria. You will also keep track of the inventory of supplies and keep the supplies organized and in stock. Are you personable, flexible, organized, and have a keen eye for detail? Then this position may be the right fit for you!
Your responsibilities include:
- Washing laboratory glassware using a variety of methods: handwashing, machine washing, acid cleaning, boiling, autoclaving, etc.
- Performing miscellaneous laboratory duties such as cleaning of apparatus and equipment, general clean-up of laboratory, sterilizing media, reagents, instruments, etc.
- Making complex media, reagents buffers, or animal diets/therapies etc., requiring a series of laboratory operations, carrying out the series without intermediate instructions.
- Maintaining an inventory of lab supplies.
- Requesting supply orders as needed by the lab.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- A high school diploma and at least one year of lab assistant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Demonstrated initiative and good judgment.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to train others in aspects of Lab Assistant work.
- An ability to perform work with a minimum of error under general supervision.
- An ability to prioritize and multi-task.
The physical requirements of this position include:
- Manual dexterity to perform assigned tasks
- Write by hand, sort/file paperwork or parts, perform desk based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, perform seated work, operate special machines
- Occasionally twist/bend/stoop/squat, reach /work above shoulders, light fine grasping.
- Lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 20 pounds.
- Rarely help move heavier items (e.g. chairs or lab equipment; packages of supplies; drums containing 2 to 15 gallons, depending on ability.
- In some Glassware Washing operations, occasionally may pull a wheeled Glassware cart that weighs approximately 100 pounds.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Part-time
- Job Code: 5794
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: A16
- Requisition ID: 87178