Library Support Staff, DocuServe
7 days left
- Full Time
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Caltech Library seeks an innovative and collaborative staff member who will work within the Access and Collection Services (ACS) Unit. The Library Support Staff with a specialization in interlibrary loan and document delivery (DocuServe) will help to oversee multiple functions under the umbrella of Caltech Library’s Access and Collections Services. They will report directly to the DocuServe Supervisor. The successful candidate will be cross-trained to support all functions within ACS including, but not limited to, supporting its multiple service points, stacks maintenance and across departmental support - with a strong focus on all interlibrary loan and document delivery office functions.
Hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 12PM to 9PM.
- Support the Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery (DocuServe) Office.
- Provide user assistance at any ACS service point.
- Help oversee DocuServe part-time student workers.
- Ensure daily workflow by part time students is being completed in DocuServe.
- Serve as the initial contact for local DocuServe users in person, via email, and on the telephone; makes referrals to others as appropriate.
- Receive and process requests to borrow materials from other libraries for use by the Caltech students, faculty, and/or staff with appropriate resource sharing tools.
- Process borrowing requests that require advanced searching and research skills in order to be filled.
- Address complex or non-routine problems and issues are appropriately handled and report problems and malfunctions in the DocuServe operation to DocuServe Supervisor, ACS Supervisors, Lead Staff member as appropriate.
- Help support the maintenance of appropriate records, documents, and reports related to the University Libraries’ borrowing activities.
- Help support the maintenance of established statistics related to interlibrary loan and report them in the appropriate format as scheduled and/or as requested.
- Assist maintaining the accuracy and currency of the DocuServe procedure manual and flagging errors or inconsistencies to the DocuServe Supervisor or Lead Staff member.
- Routinely handle tasks that may not be the primary responsibility of this position, but are needed to ensure all functions in ACS are running smoothly.
- Assist with accomplishing tasks related to the overall responsibilities of the ACS department.
- Serves as backup for other staff in ACS.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience and comfort with using computers in a work setting
- At least 1 years of previous library work experience or experience in a comparable position
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good customer service skills and ability to assist library users with their information needs whether they are in person, over the telephone, or online
- Must be able to exercise sound judgment and good decision-making skills
- Strong interpersonal skills that will support establishing and maintaining productive working relationships with a diverse group of faculty, staff, coworkers, and external partners
- Ability to maintain a courteous and professional manner at all times
- Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team while meeting deadlines, completing work on established schedules, and asking for assistance, if needed, to prevent delays in accomplishing tasks
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills and functions as the operations and needs of the library evolve
- Ability to supervise the work of others including providing appropriate training and assessing work performance
- Some evening and weekend hours may be required
- Cover Letter