RN Coordinator, Yale Health
Reporting to the Manager of Specialty Services, and in collaboration with the Specialty Services team, provide Specialty nursing care in an ambulatory care setting. Assess, plan, and evaluate direct patient care. Ensure Yale Health Organizational and multi sub-specialty department’s standards for patient care are consistently met.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Supports the specialty care team by assuming responsibility for and coordinating all facets of nursing support members and their families. Coordinates and/or delivers direct nursing care to all members of the unit along the continuum of health.
- Clinical judgment and decision making in accordance with clinical practice guidelines and protocols and clinician orders, including follow up, preventative health, maintenance, teaching and education. Assume responsibility for evaluation and disposition of scheduled patients as well as same day- walk in patients.
- Provide direct patient care to multi-Specialty ambulatory clinics. Assist clinicians and support patients in a fast paced outpatient setting. Prepare equipment, supplies and medications as indicated.
- Provide triage, assessment and nursing care for all patients in Specialty Services. Respond to clinical emergency situations and perform well under high stress high volume environment.
- Assist with office-based surgical procedures, biopsies and treatments.
- Conduct results follow-up calls, respond to patient phone and electronic messages, provide patient education, conduct nursing visits, collaborate with clinicians and coordinate patient care.
- Administer medications and treatments as ordered by Specialty clinician.
- Triage and review Specialty referrals; coordinate appropriate and timely care for patients.
- Document all patient encounters, including patient teaching, self-care advice and coordination of health services, as indicated. Perform audits of documentation, when indicated.
- Monitor clinic needs and implement changes to ensure efficient workflow, staffing, patient care, and optimization of clinician schedules.
- Appropriately delegate to support staff duties within the scope of their responsibility; supervise and direct support staff.
- Participate in department staff meetings, team meetings, Yale Health Committees as indicated..
- Communicates effectively and collaborates appropriately with all members of the Yale Health healthcare team to ensure seamless, high quality patient care.
- Maintain a safe, clean patient care environment in accordance with Yale all Health policies.
Click here for more information
- Collaborates with members of the multidisciplinary team to support the work of the team, unit activities, and the accomplishment of positive patient outcomes.
- Delegates responsibilities to appropriate members of the care delivery team based upon an understanding of others'' roles, scope of practice, knowledge, and capabilities to ensure optimal utilization of personnel.
- Contributes to a positive work environment by being responsive to the need for change.
- Maintains a collaborative work relationship with staff members through respect and recognition of cultural and human diversity.
- Successfully completes the competency based orientation within designated time frame.
- Identifies self-learning needs and actively participates in meeting them in collaboration with the leadership team. Sets and achieves professional goals.
- Delivers excellence in patient care through compliance with all patient safety and regulatory initiatives.
- Communicates in a calm professional manner with patients, families, colleagues, members of the care team, and other hospital personnel, accepts and elicits feedback, and works toward resolving problems and clarifying issues and concerns.
- Uses resources in a fiscally sound manner.
- Compliance with University, State and federal healthcare regulations.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in Nursing.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Superior oral, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to perform well in a fast-paced, stressful patient care setting.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and multi-task efficiently. Computer skills/ability.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Consistently exhibits professionalism. Works well as part of a team.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Conflict resolution skills, and the ability to apply them to promote service recovery and resolve interpersonal communications with team members.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Excellent attendance, punctuality and reliability.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Experience with clinical healthcare documentation systems/electronic medical record (EMR). Experience working in an ambulatory care setting. 2 years of Medical/Surgical and/or Multi-Specialty Nursing care experience. Experience with clinical and/or telephone triage. Charge nurse experience, or experience in a nursing leadership role.
Required Licenses or Certifications
Licensure as Registered Nurse in the State of Connecticut or Connecticut license eligible.
May require prolonged standing, walking, use of sight, hearing and touch, moving/lifting patients of varying weights. Requires keyboard use and ability to sit in front of a computer screen for long periods of time.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus