Professor/Associate Professor in Sustainable Production and Design
1 day left
- Full Time
About the position
The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering has a vacancy for a professor or associate professor in Sustainable production and design. The department searches outstanding candidates with high academic ambitions, productivity and quality. As our new professor/associate professor you will be responsible for teaching basic and advanced courses in sustainable production and machine design.
You will supervise students on BSc, MSc, and PhD level, and establish and develop research activity within the field of the professorship.
The position reports to Head of Department.
Duties of the position
- be responsible for building up a portfolio of research projects and activities, and publish research in high-level, international journals
- generate national and international (EU) funding of projects within own and colleagues’ main field of research
- supervise MSc and BSc students on project assignments, and recruit and supervise PhD students
- participate in other multidisciplinary research activities and become a resource in research projects
- develop teaching program(s) and educational activities, integrate sustainability into existing courses, and teach courses in machine design and manufacturing technology for students on BSc and MSc level.
- develop teaching and education capabilities of the department, especially implementing innovative educational frameworks (CDIO), tools, digitalization and online teaching
- develop and maintain academic and industrial networks, nationally and internationally
- be jointly responsible for disciplinary matters together with other academic staff in the department
- participate in administrative work as required
Required selection criteria
The position of Professor within Sustainable production and design requires that you meet the criteria in the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts section 1-2.
- your academic work must be essentially within Sustainable Production and Design, or equivalent subject area
- your research must be documented and of high international quality, showing both breadth and depth
- research activity and output must demonstrate an independent research profile and the ability to take up new research issues
- strong emphasis will be placed on publication of research results in recognized international journals within his or her subject area
- emphasis will be placed on ability and experience in initiating and leading research and development of the field of area, and in obtaining external funding for research.
- emphasis will also be placed on a documented commitment to teaching, development of teaching materials, and supervision of students at all levels
In addition to formal qualifications in teaching at university level, you must document
- development in teaching and counselling of students over time
- extensive experience with supervision preferably at the master / PhD level
- participation in the development of educational quality
The position of Associate Professor within Sustainable Production and Design requires that you meet the criteria in the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts section 1-4.
- your PhD, or academic work of the same scope and quality, must be within sustainable production and design, or equivalent
- emphasis will be placed on ability and experience in initiating and leading research in the subject area. Strong emphasis will be placed on publication of research results in recognized international journals within the subject area
- particular focus will be placed on academic work during the past five years, excluding statutory leave (depending on the disciplinary tradition)
For both Professor and Associate professor:
- You must document relevant basic competence for teaching and supervision at university/higher education-level, ref. Regulations. If this cannot be documented, you are required to complete an approved course in university teaching within two years of commencement. NTNU offers qualifying courses.
- It is a prerequisite that within three years of appointment, new employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language can demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three in the course for Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
- Please see the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts for general criteria for the position.
Preferred selection criteria
- you will be expected to have research competence in machine design and/or manufacturing technology, in addition to towering competence in sustainability
- you should have general competence in conventional manufacturing processes, and in additive manufacturing processes for metals and polymers
- you should also have general competence in product development
- you have teaching experience within mechanical and/or industrial engineering from recognized educational institutions/universities
- you have relevant industrial experience within sustainable production and design
- you have a track record in initiating and managing research projects (EU and/or RCN) in collaboration with industry or academia
- you should know commonly used tools, assessments and regulations used in academia and industry to monitor sustainability
- you are solution- and result oriented, with a high working capacity
- you are analytical
- you are curious and motivated to develop new knowledge together with others
- you have high relation building skills, with ability to involve and engage
- you are a good communicator, both oral and written
- you have the ability to work with theoretical and practical tasks, and their combination
- you are a team player with good collaboration and networking skills
- you are interested in, and able to work with students
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
In a position as Professor (code 1013) you will normally be remunerated from gross NOK 700 000 to 1 000 000 per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. In a position as Associate Professor (code 1011) you will normally be remunerated from gross NOK 600 000 to NOK 900 000 per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment, you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite that you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
You can find more information about working at NTNU and the application process here.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation must be in English.
Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description of the academic/artistic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be considered in the assessment
- Name and address of three referees
- Details of teaching qualifications based on "Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU”
- Details of the projects you have managed, with information about funding, duration and size
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the assessment of the best-qualified applicant, we will emphasize education, experience and personal suitability as well as your motivation for the position. You will be expected to deliver high-quality teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and undertake supervision of Masters and Doctoral candidates. Evaluation of these skills will be based on documented experience and relevant teaching qualifications. Applicants with teaching experience at university level are preferred. Quality and breadth of the teaching qualifications will be evaluated.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA. This means that we pay special attention to the quality and professional breadth of these works. We also consider experience from research management and participation in research projects. We place great emphasis on your scientific work from the last five years.
Your application will be considered by an expert committee and the most suitable applicants will be invited to interview and to deliver a lecture.
A good working environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. NTNU wishes to increase the proportion of women in its academic positions, and women are therefore encouraged to apply.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Head of Department, Professor Torgeir Welo: email@example.com, or Professor Knut Sørby: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR consultant Linn-Cecilie Felle, e-mail: email@example.com
Please submit your application and supporting documentation via jobbnorge.no. If you are invited for interview, you must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas. Mark the application with reference number: IV-632/20.
Application deadline: 25.01.2021
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
We educate graduates who can create new products, operate and maintain products, and manage projects. The Department has a variety of bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes. We conduct wide-ranging research in fields such as technology, energy, product quality and development, and productivity. The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 25th January 2021
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service