Administrative Coordinator, Civic House
2 days left
- Full Time
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary
Reporting to the Director of the Civic House, the Administrative Coordinator is responsible for organizing the House’s overall activities, including programs and events related to Civic House initiatives; hiring, coordinating, and creating community among student staff; managing the office the Civic House facility; processing and tracking financial activities, and; managing website content and other communications. The Administrative Coordinator will also play an important role in Civic House’s communications and alumni relations and development efforts.
In coordination with Provost Administrative Affairs, oversee timely processing of Civic House financial transactions utilizing appropriate University financial systems, including:
- Ensuring that staff are knowledgeable of and in compliance with procedures, including training new staff;
- Anticipating, planning, and ensuring processing of Purchase Orders, payments for services, and other office expenditures;
- Managing reimbursements and other reconciliations of office expenditures;
- Tracking expenditures by account and type and communicating with Civic House staff, and;
- Coordinating background check processes with other University offices for students in Civic House programs.
Participate in supervision of part-time employees, including:
- Onboarding part-time staff, including ensuring that they are hired through appropriate processes and oriented to Civic House;
- Playing a central role in creating community among student staff, including facilitating and training and meetings, connecting them with one another and full-time staff and Civic House projects and programs;
- Keeping track of student staff projects and responsibilities, in communication with other Civic House staff, and;
- Verifying and recording hours for all part-time employees, ensuring their presence during scheduled hours and tracking hours for budget and other purposes.
Coordinate content management for Civic House website and online communications, including:
- Regularly and accurately updating content to keep website current;
- Working with technical support staff to keep website functioning;
- Assisting staff in development and maintenance of specific sections of site, and;
- Assembling and, with support of student staff, sending electronic communications (email, social media, etc.) in support of Civic House’s outreach efforts.
Support Director in all aspects of Civic House alumni relations and development efforts, including:
- Accessing data and creating reports as needed;
- Processing gifts and other development-related financial transactions;
- Assisting with stewardship and other aspects of development process, and;
- Coordinating visits for alumni and friends of Civic House.
Administer use of Civic House facility, including:
- Scheduling and staff coverage of events taking place in building;
- Working with Facilities Services to ensure that building is properly cleaned and maintained;
- Ensuring coverage of front desk and phones, including expediting phone and walk-in requests with assistance of work-study staff, and;
- Oversee office technology, including representing Civic House to IT support (HireIT).
Oversee scheduling, policies and procedures for community service transportation, including:
- Working closely with PennTransit and the WPTP scheduling, maintenance of vehicles, administrative protocols, financial arrangements, etc.;
- Overseeing process for purchasing and dispensing cards for public transportation as needed for student engagement with community partners.
Perform other duties in support of office’s smooth functioning, including:
- Ensuring functioning of office machinery and availability of office supplies,
- Oversee organization/updating of Civic House's office files, databases and other computer-based information, and bulletin boards, and;
- Organize incoming and outgoing mail, processing paperwork as appropriate.
- Coordinate logistics for a variety of Civic House initiatives in collaboration with other staff, including:
- Communicating with student, faculty, staff, and community participants;
- Arranging for all entertainment, facility, and staffing needs;
- Publicizing events to appropriate constituencies as needed;
- Overseeing event evaluation and follow-up
Perform Additional Duties as Assigned
High School degree required; Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred with at least three (3) years of administrative experience in an office environment. Excellent interpersonal, time management and communication skills required; the successful candidate will have demonstrated interest in engaging with students. Candidate must possess computer skills (Windows preferred), including Office365; experience with additional software and with navigating and creating online resources (web pages, social media, etc.) especially helpful. Skill in budget management systems, with knowledge of University policies and procedures preferred. Proven organizational skills with the ability to prioritize assignments and maintain efficient recordkeeping systems essential. Ideal candidate will enjoy working with college-age students from diverse backgrounds. Experience in organizing large programs requiring publicity and in working with community-based organizations is desirable.
Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect your and your family’s health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn’s Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you’re newly hired, you won’t have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That’s why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University’s libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There’s always something going on at Penn, whether it’s a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you’re right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
$20.00 - $36.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.