Research Specialist B, Gene Therapy Department
5 days left
- Full Time
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary
The Gene Therapy Program (GTP) is entering a new era of unprecedented opportunity with the great potential to reshape the face of medicine as we know it. Our discoveries have set the stage for successful treatments and possibly even cures for devastating genetic diseases.
The laboratory of Dr. Jim Wilson, at GTP of the University of Pennsylvania, has been a leader in the development of innovative vector technology for close to three decades. We have emerged as the “go-to” organization for public and private partners, who want to participate in the gene therapy space. Currently, we are positioned to lead another round of vector innovation and establish pre-clinical and clinical proof-of-concept in therapeutic applications of in-vivo genome editing.
Continuation of all GTP positions is contingent upon funding.
We are currently looking Research Specialist B, to support high throughput testing efforts in our Immunology Core.
As a Research Specialist B, you independently perform immunoassays, under GLP conditions, on patient samples to determine if they would have any adverse immune response to the therapeutic. You will be required to document all of your work on batch records. You will complete assignments independently but also work in a well-defined team.
Techniques used in studies include but not limited to mammalian cell culture, aseptic technique, ELISA, lymphocyte isolation, and flow cytometry.
Joining GTP offers scientific professionals the unique opportunity of seeing research go from bench to bedside and discoveries that could one day lead to cures.
- B.A./B.S. in Immunology, Biology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or in adjacent field with strong scientific background.
- and 1-3 years of post-degree bench laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Must have experience with Cell Culture, Aseptic Technique, ELISA.
- Experience with Immunology, animal models, virus work, lymphocyte isolation, flow cytometry, elispot preferred but not required (will be trained).
- Must be able to work in fast paced environment and manage own time effectively.
- Must have the ability to follow existing protocols and document work.
- Have superior organizational skills and high attention to detail.
- Outstanding interpersonal interaction skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, problem recognition and solving, and organizational skills required.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Perelman School of Medicine
$36,401.00 - $65,521.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.