The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary
The Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania is the oldest and one of the finest medical schools in the United States. Penn is rich in tradition and heritage and at the same time consistently at the forefront of new developments and innovations in medical education and research. Since its founding in 1765 the School has been a strong presence in the community and prides itself on educating the leaders of tomorrow in patient care, biomedical research, and medical education. http://www.med.upenn.edu/
The focus of this role is to transport clinical trial samples and investigational products in support of the HIV Prevention Research Division of the University of Pennsylvania. Courier responsibilities include:
- Timely sample transport between clinical facilities and collaborating laboratories within the HUP/Penn complex and remote off campus locations
- Ensure accompanying sample documentation is accurate, complete and consistent and all records of sample inventory are accurate, complete and consistent
- Prepare samples for transport to outside entities adhering to institutional transport regulations
- Packaging of some samples on dry ice or in liquid nitrogen
- Maintain sample chain of custody using electronic sample tracking database
- Transport and verify the identity of incoming investigational products
- Maintain real time communication between laboratory staff, clinical staff and pharmacy staff
- Transport of hard copy data/records as needed.
- Assist with visit material preparation, appointment reminder calls, and inventory management as time allows . Other duties as assigned.
- Follow Good Documentation Practices (GDP)
- Follow Good Clinical Practices (GCP)
- Adhere to HIPAA regulations
- Physical skills and ability to perform work that requires continual standing, sitting, walking, stooping, bending and lifting up to 20 pounds.
- Will need to operate a Penn automobile to transport investigational products and specimens to and from remote off campus locations
- High school diploma and 1-2 years experience in transport and/or shipping or an equivalent combination of education and experience required. Associates degree preferred. Previous courier experience is preferred. Customer service experience is a plus. Exceptional communication and organizational skills and strong attention to detail are required in this role. Previous experience working in clinical trials is preferred. Efficient time management is essential. Routine interaction with technicians, pharmacists, clinical staff, quality assurance personnel, and support staff is necessary. Current Pennsylvania Driver’s License required.
- This position is an Essential University employee and is required to report to work in times of inclement weather and University closure. Flexibility to work some early mornings and evenings and Saturdays is required. Previous demonstrated experience working with clinical trials, and in particular, sample transport and shipping of biological samples is preferred.
This position is contingent upon funding.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Perelman School of Medicine
$15.44 - $26.25
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.