Investment Accounting Manager - Operations
5 days left
- Full Time
Job Family: Accounting
Job Series: Accountant
Job Code: 4443
Classification Level: J
Effective/Revision Date: 10/05/2020
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
Stanford University is one of a select group of American universities that have achieved eminence in both undergraduate and graduate education and in a broad range of academic disciplines. The University is internationally recognized for the quality of its teaching and research, its distinguished faculty and its outstanding student body. Our mission is to educate future leaders and promote interdisciplinary, world-class research and teaching. This passion makes Stanford an intensely creative, rewarding, and challenging place to work.
In a highly complex and constantly changing backdrop, the University Controller’s Office is responsible for creating an environment which promotes innovative and sound business policies and practices that balance controls, compliance and customer service. The organization consists of approximately 44 professionals, responsible for a broad range of financial activities, including Capital Accounting, Financial Accounting and Reporting, Fund Accounting, Investment Accounting, and Gift Securities. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere.
Our Stanford Redwood City campus is the workplace for approximately 2,700 staff whose jobs are important to supporting the university’s mission. The campus brings departments together in a collaborative environment that reflects Stanford’s culture and mission. The campus offers amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a child care center for Stanford families.
The Stanford Endowment is one of the largest university endowments in the country. The endowment assets are invested in a highly diversified and multi-asset class portfolio.
The Accountant will be involved in a wide range of investment accounting and financial analysis activities across all investment asset classes - public equity, private equity, hedge funds, real estate, natural resources and other alternative investments. The Accountant will report to the director of Investment Accounting, and must be able to work independently and within a team environment.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Oversee all phases of monthly and yearly accounting processes and investment accounting operations; responsible for internal and external financial reporting activities to ensure that accurate and timely information is available to senior management for decision-making.
- Perform complex and detailed reconciliations, closure processes, research, and critical analyses. Identify, prioritize, and resolve complex financial issues which may span multiple areas; identify underlying issues; recognize exceptions; recommend solutions. Review and perform periodic analysis of complex general ledger account balances and transactions for reasonableness, accuracy, and compliance with GAAP.
- Maintain and enhance compliance with internal controls by recommending changes to ensure all transactions are prepared, executed, and documented properly; proactively identify control weaknesses and system and process improvements; communicate to management and operate in a lead capacity in making remedial changes to tighten and enhance controls and mitigate risk; assist the manager in coordination and development of the annual operating plan and other projects.
- Supervise, train and develop one accountant and one analyst; maintain and generate accurate accounting records, support and analyze entries to ledger and account reconciliations for various general ledger balances.
- Integral involvement in the external audit of the University’s financial statements; assist in the preparation of year-end financial statements and support schedules and be a primary point of contact for the external auditors; contribute to the development of new management report and improve accounting operation efficiency; serve as the second level review of all external and internal reports.
- Partner with Stanford Management Company, Bank of New York Mellon and other groups at the Controller’s Office to complete monthly and year-end share value and earning calculation processes for the investment pools.
- Research accounting guidance and determine workflow for new investment types and transactions.
- Lead and support unit and organization strategy and change management initiatives. Analyze existing systems and processes; identify greater efficiencies and improved internal controls opportunities; incorporate new regulations; recommend solutions that may require policy changes or new processes.
- Special projects as assigned; work collaboratively and back up other team members (including manager) and functions.
TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS POSITION, YOU WILL BRING:
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree plus six plus years of applicable experience, or combination of education and relevant work experience.
MBA and/or CPA designation a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong project management skills and ability to contribute to or lead part of a multi-functional team.
- Broad understanding of various investment products and complex instruments. Working knowledge of investment operations, custody bank and mutual fund accounting environment and ancillary asset management service providers
- Self-starter and demonstrated capability to gain the respect of others, influence people of varying levels of authority in multiple organizations, elicit cooperation without direct authority.
- Advanced proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office; especially Excel.
- Ability to interpret and apply advanced accounting knowledge and understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal audiences and client groups.
- Strong project management skills and ability to lead and contribute as part of a project team.
IN ADDITION, PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE:
- Experience working in a University environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience with, ERP systems, preferably Oracle, with proven ability to apply knowledge to understand new systems and processes.
- General understanding of SQL or relational database knowledge to be able to extract data and perform analysis
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks to meet deadlines and customer service response standards.
- Proven ability to apply knowledge to analyze and interpret business policies and external regulations and translate them into compliant and efficient accounting processes.
- Ability to observe trends in data, recommending and helping to implement solutions to increase efficiency, effectiveness, and accuracy of data.
- Strong customer-oriented approach to managing work.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
HOW TO APPLY:
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply Online” link. Please submit an online application, resume, and cover letter.
WHY STANFORD IS FOR YOU:
We provide market competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our unique perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. As one of the greatest intellectual hubs in the world, take advantage of development programs, tuition reimbursement plus $800 you receive annually towards skill-building classes, or audit a Stanford course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums. Create an avatar and participate in virtual reality adventures or join one with fellow staff on Stanford vacations!
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computing, cell phones, outdoor recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Stanford University’s commitment to safely and effectively meet the public health challenge presented by COVID-19 extends to ensuring University employees may work from home, or another off-site location, where determined appropriate, whenever necessary through the end of the 2020 calendar year. The department will give reasonable notice when employees are expected to return to work at the Redwood City campus.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4443
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: J
- Requisition ID: 87716