Associate Director, Faculty Compensation/Travel/Visas
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Profile Title
Associate Director B
Job Description Summary
Reporting to the Director of Administrative Operations, the Associate Director is the primary operational resource for the Executive Education faculty and other thought leaders and is responsible for compensation, travel expenditures, tax documentation, and vendor engagements arising from faculty, consultants, facilitators, and guest speakers delivering Wharton Executive Education Programs. The position demands unique policy knowledge and administration skills to assure conformity with University policies while meeting all the needs of presenters to ensure their continued participation in Wharton Exec Ed. The role also requires a vigilant monitoring of processes, ability to generate and analyze data related to faculty teaching trends/compensation, and the ability to identify and implement policy and process changes.
This position will work with Wharton Finance and Administration partner to manage and process all compensation payments and travel reimbursements. This position communicates payroll deadlines and other information related to the compensation and reimbursement process. This individual is manage the process for adding new faculty to the Engage system, and owning faculty session descriptions, bios, and pics in Engage. The Associate Director will work closely with the Vice Dean and/or Associate Vice Dean to manage the Aresty Fellows and external faculty contracting processes. This individual will be responsible for coordinating and scheduling travel for Faculty who teach in Exec Ed programs domestic and abroad, as well as completing reimbursements for travel.
It is expected that this position will work outside of normal business hours as needed (to include early mornings/late evenings/weekends) to meet client deadlines/organizational objectives.
- Using sound business judgment, full ownership and accountability for aspects of compensation for Executive Education faculty and other thought leaders who teach in over 250 Executive Education programs. Proactively resolves any conflicts/discrepancies on payment requests, tax issues, travel policies, and other related activities to meet university payroll deadlines, program delivery commitments, and travel deadlines. Lead monthly faculty compensation closing efforts to ensure accuracy of payments in system ($15 million annually). Understand accounting standards to provide guidance to faculty and staff around compensation and compliance. Identify, recommend and implement internal processes and policy changes as the need arises. Responsible for financial oversight and policy, including review of non-standard payments and fees for design and/or development. Guide Client Services with determining equitable compensation for new and existing faculty.
- Ensures that the Engage database is current and relevant at all times. Adds new faculty to the Engage system. Owns faculty session descriptions, bios, and pics in Engage.
- The Associate Director will work closely with the Vice Dean and/or Associate Vice Dean to manage the Aresty Fellows and external faculty contracting processes. Ensures that Aresty Fellow arrangements are current. Crafts contracts for external faculty, and sure appropriate signatures are obtained in a timely manner. Ensures that all arrangements are current (i.e. effectively manage expiration dates).
- Independently manage, coordinate, and schedule all travel for faculty who teach in Exec Ed programs for domestic and international travel. Thorough understanding of policy to ensure compliance across Exec Ed programs. Must exercise judgment to ensure that all travel is approved and processed in a timely manner. Responsible for moving travel requests through the appropriate approval channels.
- Independently manage the process for securing VISAs for faculty, staff, and senior leadership who travel internationally on behalf of Exec Ed for programs and/or client meetings. Fully understand all requirements necessary to obtain the appropriate VISA, and ensure application and supporting documentation are processed in a timely, efficient, and succinct manner. Utilize substantial interpersonal, written and verbal skills in order to communicate with constituents to ensure accuracy and timeliness of travel documentation and with CIBT and/or respective Consulate any documentation issues, and communicate effectively to constituents to ensure accuracy and timeliness of travel documents.
- Monitor and analyze compensation data ($15m annually) for production of EE teaching reports for senior management. Analyze data and provide information to external reporting bodies, (Financial times, for example) on compensation, faculty diversity, categorization of programming, etc.
- Prepare complex reconciliations and analyses for all programming through Alliance and other partners (example, INSEAD Salesforce program).
- Maintain Exec Ed’s CPE sponsorship through the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) and ensure that CPE credits are accurately calculated according to NASBA requirements and a formal letter distributed. In addition, this position will calculate and distribute CEU (continuing education units) via a formal letter.
Bachelor’s degree and 4 -5 years’ experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Experience managing compensation and payroll deadlines in fast-paced environment (academic environment preferred). Experience working with faculty and thought leaders is ideal. Experience with travel management. Strong comfortability and ease using technology to include payroll management systems, databases, and client relationship management tools. Strong written and verbal skills required. Experience with using purchasing systems.
- Personal initiative and strong work ethic along with highly effective communications skills (verbal and written). Aptitude for public speaking skills a plus. Demonstrated writing/editing skills with keen attention to detail and accuracy of information.
- Independent, self-starter who is an analytical leader with mature business judgment and results oriented. Self-starter who works collaboratively across teams.
- Relevant experience managing payroll and payroll deadlines. Understanding of accounting principles. Experience managing budgets.
- Strong comfort with and ease using technology to include experience with and use of payroll systems, databases, client relationship management tools, and travel systems. In addition, experience with Concur, CRM, Outlook, purchasing systems, and other systems.
- Strong attention to detail with an ability and comfort working in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment. Highly organized and accurate execution on timelines and deliverables.
- Excellent problem solving and innovative thinking to achieve organizational objectives.
- Proven ability to work within a team environment and on project teams. A strong desire to contribute and work collaboratively to achieve goals.
- Experience acting in lead capacity.
- Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours in order to meet client deadlines/organizational objectives. This may include working early mornings/late evenings/weekends.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
$42,953.00 - $77,315.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.