Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Natural and Agricultural Sciences
3 days left
- Full Time
FACULTY OF NATURAL AND AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY, GENETICS AND MICROBIOLOGY
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Teaching and mentoring scarce skills capacity in plant-pathogen interactions at senior undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- Undertaking independent research in the Avocado Research Programme in the field of avocado health, aligned with the research objectives of the Hans Merensky Chair in Avocado Research to contribute to research and postgraduate supervision;
- Contributing to undergraduate and honours teaching in the Department;
- Engaging with stakeholders linked to the Hans Merensky Chair in Avocado Research;
- Networking with associated research groups and entities at UP, as well as fostering international collaboration.
- A PhD-degree in Microbiology, Genetics, Plant Pathology or a closely aligned field, with evidence of specialisation in plant-pathogen interactions;
- Evidence of teaching experience at undergraduate level;
- Evidence of supervision/co-supervision activity at postgraduate level;
- Research publications in recognised journals.
- Evidence of the ability to obtain a NRF rating in the near future
- A PhD-degree in Microbiology, Genetics, Plant Pathology or a closely aligned field with evidence of specialisation in plant-pathogen interactions;
- An established publication record and evidence of local recognition (e.g. NRF Y-rating);
- Evidence of current and completed postgraduate student supervision at MSc and PhD levels;
- Successful acquisition of research funding;
- Teaching experience and curriculum development at undergraduate and postgraduate level;
- Established publication record.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- In-depth subject knowledge;
- Excellent communication skills and computer literacy;
- A student-centred mind-set;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Teamwork and good interpersonal skills;
- Multi-disciplinary research skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- A research focus on molecular plant pathology and bioinformatics skills to understand complex plant-pathogen/pest interactions;
- Experience in working with new technologies in the field such as pathogen transformation, gene editing tools or other molecular based tools;
- More than two years’ experience in a tertiary environment;
- Specialisation in fungal, viral or bacterial plant-pathogen interactions;
- Membership/affiliation of national scientific and professional bodies;
- Evidence of community engagement activities;
- A driver’s licence.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and Umvuzo medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three academic referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- A critical self-evaluation of teaching and research contributions to date.
CLOSING DATE: 30 November 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
HR related: Mrs Shado Mahlangu, Tel: (+27 12) 420-3920, E-mail: Shado.Mahlangu@up.ac.za
Discipline related: Prof Paulette Bloomer, Tel: (+27 12) 420 3259, E-mail: email@example.com
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 June 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference will be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.