Lecturer in Biological Design, Education Focused
3 days left
- Part Time
- Opportunity to contribute to outstanding educational design, delivery, evaluation and outcomes
- Located at both Westmead and Camperdown Campus
- Part time (0.5 FTE) fixed term for 12 months with a base salary of $108K p.a. pro rata, plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
As a Lecturer in Biological Design, you will:
- coordinate and teach the undergraduate units Biodesign Fundamentals, Designing for Cyber-Physical Systems and Biodesign Studio, which will bring together students from Medical Science, Design,Engineering and other disciplines, as well as units of study at the Faculty of Science;
- design, deliver and evaluate new units of study focusing on biological design;
- direct, review and develop the major/minor in Biological Design;
- engage and collaborate with industry, your research discipline and the broader community, and
- Support and work with staff and students from a wide range of cultural, social and professional backgrounds.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research and teaching excellence and are looking for a Lecturer (Education Focused) in Biological Design who possesses:
- a developing research record in the study of biological design and its application in health and medicine, evidenced through publications in high impact, international, peer-reviewed research outputs; submission of competitive research grant applications; and recognition within the broader research community, commensurate with level of appointment;
- demonstrated ability to design, coordinate, teach and evaluate biological design units of study in lecture, tutorial and studio situations;
- a developing network of relationships with key academic, industry and professional institutions, partners and stakeholders that can be leveraged to enhance the standing of the discipline, school and University;
- excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, with demonstrated capacity to communicate effectively across a range of media and forums to expert and non-expert audiences.
From the appointment of its first Chair in 1918, the University of Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning has been an internationally acknowledged centre for intellectual, scientific and aesthetic research in architecture and the built environment, attracting the highest quality applicants in Australia. Founded in 1968 as the Computer Applications Research Unit, the Design Lab has for decades been an international research leader in how computers can be used to design and create.
The Design Lab, where the position is hosted, draws on design research to define new interactive experiences and to investigate the role of design for innovation, both within the built environment and beyond. As design researchers, we study how the world can be changed and shaped through design, applying human-centred methods to imagine possible futures with a range of economic, social, cultural and environmental benefits. Our areas of research spaninteraction design, computational creativity, design innovation, designing for health and well-being, digital place-making, and urban data science.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 8,100 academic and non-academic staff who support over 73,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the position description available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit https://sydney.edu.au/about-us/careers-at-sydney.html and search by the reference number 1326/1120F to apply.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Closing date: 11:30pm, Thursday 3 December 2020
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
©The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.