Chief Operating Officer
3 days left
- Full Time
- Play a key leadership role in the newly established Sydney Quantum Academy and join an enthusiastic and growing quantum technology community
- Located at our Camperdown Campus
- Full-time, 3.5 year fixed term with attractive salary and generous superannuation
About the opportunity
The Sydney Quantum Academy (SQA) is a new and exciting joint venture between The University of Sydney, The University of New South Wales, Macquarie University and University of Technology Sydney to establish Sydney (and Australia) as a global destination for talent, investment and innovation in relation to quantum technology and the future quantum economy.
As the Chief Operating Officer this is your opportunity to:
- provide strategic and executive-level support for the SQA
- oversee and guide the implementation of strategy across the SQA, ensuring alignment with overarching objectives (in close consultation with the SQA Executive Board and CEO)
- manage the integration of diverse workforce groups and operational resources from across the partner universities ensuring effective collaboration
- manage and report on financials, monitor budgets and expenditure, and develop financial strategies
- establish and coordinate governance and control frameworks and processes ensuring compliance with relevant legislative and regulatory controls
- provide strategic support and advice to the CEO in all matters regarding operational functions of the SQA
- manage high level relationships with the partner universities, government, industry and community stakeholders as required.
- The SQA values collaboration, excellence and a diverse and inclusive workplace. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a COO who possesses:
- postgraduate qualifications with extensive relevant experience in management and business administration or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- superior collaborative management and leadership skills and experience
- experience managing a diverse group of stakeholders on large or complex projects and the ability to develop/cultivate productive relationships with stakeholders from universities, industry, government and community organisations
- strong experience in operations and setting up systems
- financial management experience and literacy, experience managing budgets and controlling income and expenditure for projects
- strong business acumen and strategic thinking skills
- excellent organisation and time management skills to deliver effective outcomes.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a skilled people leader and networker who enjoys working at the interface of academia and industry.
An innovative, collaborative model, the SQA offers PhD scholarships, Postdoctoral Fellowships, Visiting Fellowships and coordinate PhD coursework and UG and PG coursework and pathways across the four universities to develop the next generation of quantum scientists, engineers and entrepreneurs. The Academy promotes entrepreneurship and supports the development of a quantum eco-system across Sydney and NSW.
Another important role is to engage with industry, governments and the broader community to promote understanding about quantum science and the opportunities and challenges that will emerge with these transformative technologies - including the ethical, political and social challenges.
The University of Sydney is the administering institution for the SQA, acting on behalf of the four partner universities. Since our inception more than 170 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia’s first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and the SQA, please view the position description available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 1344/1120F to apply.
© The University of Sydney