Senior Lecturer - Planning in Built Environments
Senior Lecturer - Planning in Built Environments (Maternity Cover)
School of Engineering and the Built Environment
Location: Birmingham, England
Salary: £46,376 to £50,408 per annum
Closing Date: Sunday 20 December 2020
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Located in a modern £300m campus in the heart of Birmingham, at the City Centre Campus, the School of Engineering and the Built Environment is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring learning community committed to excellence in research, high quality teaching and impactful industrial engagement. Building on continuous success in the growth in our academic portfolio alongside our sustained advancement in research activity, the School continues to be ambitious in its strategic vision and seeks talented individuals to join our team.
We invite applications to join our team in a dynamic, multidisciplinary environment. The role will involve the delivery across our Built Environment courses particularly related to Planning in the Built Environment expertise. You will join a strong school wide team delivering successful, professionally accredited, undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in the Built Environment utilising well-equipped purpose built facilities. We are a practice-based school, our undergraduate programmes are delivered using the CDIO (Conceive, Design, Implement and Operate) framework, making our teaching and research relevant to the evolving world around us. We work in a collaborative and cross disciplinary culture where interacting freely across the school and with colleagues in other schools is encouraged to gain a unique insight into impactful problem domains.
We seek an individual capable of teaching that is aligned to the activities of the school that cut across engineering and the built environment.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Providing an excellent student experience.
- Acting in accord with the University’s strategy, policy and procedures.
- Use appropriate learning, teaching, support and assessment methods.
- Teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- Setting and marking of assessments and providing constructive feedback and feedforward.
- Management, administration and development of the course provision within the school.
- Reflective practice as a method for improving performance.
- Participate in outreach activities to aid in recruitment.
- Pursuing research leading to high quality publications
- Seeking external funding for research
- Supervising higher degree students
- Contributing to curriculum development.
- Addressing the pastoral needs of students
- Participating in academic-related administration.
SKILLS AND EXPIENCE
- Recent industry or equivalent academic experience
- Applicants should have demonstrated excellent teaching in higher education or have presented regularly to technical audiences in an industry setting.
- Strong planning background with knowledge of relevant standards and practices.
- Ability to teach and supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Ability to build collaborative internal and external relationships
- Excellent communication skills and experience of successfully working as part of a team.
- Subject expertise in the following:
- Planning Fundamentals, Principles and Practice
- Sustainable Construction
- Research methods
- A good first degree and PhD in the subject field
- Membership of an appropriate professional body
- Track record of successful networking and community management.
- Interest in cross disciplinary collaboration.
To apply, please complete the online application and attach a copy of your CV. Candidates are advised to remove personal information to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.
For more details about the role, please contact Dr Mark Shelbourn on email@example.com or +44 (0)7599 500478
CLOSING DATE FOR ADVERT AND APPLICATIONS IS SUNDAY 20 DECEMBER 2020