Yale University, Public Safety is seeking to hire a Security Manager to manage and develop a team of unionized security officers. Assigned to work assigned shifts, Security Managers are tasked with ensuring the deployment of a highly visible security force committed to providing consistent, high quality and professional service. Security Managers will be responsible to lead, mentor, coach and supervise all personnel under their assignment. Security Managers must understand expectations of community stakeholders and build relationships based on trust and responsiveness. Security managers will assist in developing or improving operational guidelines in an ongoing drive for excellence. Bears responsibility for conducting regular quality assurance audits and inspections of all posts and personnel. The Security Manager will identify or utilize existing quality standards and metrics that are used to evaluate performance.
Additionally, the Security Manager will promote high morale and officer retention, identify and develop potential leaders, and ensure that all operations are in full compliance with department standards, General Orders and all applicable laws and regulations. Security Managers will identify and report on potential gaps in security deployment and infrastructure, making recommendations for improvement thereon.
Note: Valid Driver's license REQUIRED.
- Supervises the activities of security personnel. Conducts quality assurance inspections. Issues instructions, orders and direction to security staff. Schedules regular assignments and makes changes according to operational needs. Deploys security officers as needed. Provides training and development as needed.
- Assists with the development and implementation of detailed post orders.
- Responsible for department equipment including purchasing of vehicles, bicycles, outfitting, maintenance and repair of department equipment.
- Projects and monitors monthly, quarterly, and annual cash flow for projects; estimate future operating budget impact for assigned Security area. Makes daily operating decisions, referring major incidents or situations to a higher authority.
- Plans, assigns and evaluates the work of security personnel. Evaluates work standards and methods to insure efficiency.
- Selects, orients, trains, assigns, schedules, coaches, counsels and disciplines staff members.
- Prepares incident reports and take recommended appropriate follow-up actions. Assists the department’s administrators in the analyzing of statistical data.
- Implements security/safety improvements that benefit the University’s community.
- Assists in the development and implementation of short- and long-range security action plans, including staffing requirements and equipment needs.
- Prepares status reports of projects and weekly activities and evaluates personnel performance.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly with department administration and clients to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and three years of related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Exceptional interpersonal and leadership skills.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Strong interpersonal, verbal, written communications, and computer skills. Ability to exhibit a high level of professionalism.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Ability to make sound decisions and respond quickly in emergency situations while maintaining a calm demeanor. Ability to multitask and quickly adjust to new priorities and deliver with minimal supervision.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Ability to perform a broad range of personnel supervisory responsibilities. Ability to interpret and respond to client needs and provide solutions while adhering to federal, state and University regulations, policies and procedures.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Supervisory experience preferred. Background in security operations or public safety a plus.
Weekend Hours Required ?Yes
Evening Hours Required? Yes
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Additional Background or Health Screening Requirements
Selected incumbent must have successful completion of a DMV check and a valid driver’s license.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Note Yale University is a tobacco-free campus