Postdoctoral Researcher in Developmental Psychology
Department of Psychology
Salary: £35,931 to £37,979 per annum pro rata - including London Allowance Fixed Term
Closing Date: Thursday 10 December 2020
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Applications are invited a full-time 26-month fixed-term for the post of Postdoctoral Researcher in Developmental Psychology in the Department of Psychology. The start date is tentatively set for the 4 January 2021, dependent on Covid-19.
The post is on the project Do Infants Learn New Words from Educational Picture Books?, funded by a Nuffield Foundation award (EDO/43951) to Dr Jeanne Shinskey (Royal Holloway Baby Lab) and Dr Jessie Ricketts (Language and Reading Acquisition Lab).
The role involves testing whether 1-year-olds learn new words from sharing ‘first words’ picture books at home with their parents, and how the book’s tactile and pictorial features affect such learning.
The primary duties are to:
- Recruit and test infant participants
- Design and prepare the experiments and materials
- Work with junior researchers/assistants
- Analyse data
- Present ongoing work in regular meetings
- Disseminate the findings to academic audiences
- Communicate with non-academic stakeholders
Applicants should have:
- PhD/DPhil in Psychology or related discipline, or thesis submitted by start date
- Research outputs appropriate for career stage
- Proficiency in quantitative data analysis
- Effective oral and written communication skills with diverse audiences
- Ability to organise research activities
- Ability to work with junior researchers/assistants
- Experience designing, conducting, and analysing experiments with infants or children
- Experience researching topics related to this project
- Ability to travel to participants’ homes
- Ability to travel to conference presentations
In return we offer a highly competitive rewards and benefits package including:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Training and Development opportunities
- Pension Scheme with generous employer contribution
- Various schemes including Cycle to Work, Season Ticket Loans and help with the cost of Eyesight testing.
- Free parking
The post is based in Egham, Surrey where the College is situated in a beautiful, leafy campus near to Windsor Great Park and within commuting distance from London.
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Jeanne.Shinskey@rhul.ac.uk.
To view further details of this post and to apply please visit https://jobs.royalholloway.ac.uk. For queries on the application process the Human Resources Department can be contacted by email at: Recruitment@rhul.ac.uk.
Please quote the reference: 1120-242
Closing Date: Midnight, Thursday 10 December 2020
Interview Date: TBC