Research Fellow, Optical Instrumentation
The Singapore Centre for Environmental Life Sciences Engineering (SCELSE) is a unique interdisciplinary Research Centre of Excellence (RCE), funded by National Research Foundation, Singapore Ministry of Education, Nanyang Technological University and National University of Singapore. Hosted by NTU in partnership with NUS, SCELSE is linking new insights from the life sciences with expertise from the emerging technologies in engineering and natural sciences to understand, harness and control microbial biofilm communities.
An intra-CREATE grant from the National Research Foundation (NRF) awarded jointly to NUS, the University of Bordeaux and NTU, aims to design and built the prototype of a high-throughput organelle screening microscope, based on a special form of a light sheet microscope, the SO-SPIM.
We are seeking a Research Fellow to develop the optical/optomechanical system of the prototype.
- Work as part of an experienced optical imaging group currently consisting of an optical designer, software engineer, biophysicists, biochemists and physicist developing advanced optical microscopy hardware and software
- Work under the supervision of the team leader (PI) and in collaboration with the optical designer and be responsible for the optical and optomechanical system development including CAD design of the prototype’s optomechanical system, overseeing CAM-aided manufacturing, and assembling and aligning the optical and optomechanical system
- Oversee the experimental evaluation of the prototype system.
- Provide progress report to team leader on a regular basis
- Co-ordinate efforts and system integration with other project partners
- Write reports on progress as and when required
- PhD degree in science/physics/engineering or related field
- Extensive experience in developing/building optical imaging systems/microscopes
- Experience in advanced microscopy techniques (e.g., confocal, light sheet, etc)
- Working knowledge of optical design software (e.g., Zemax, CODE V, etc) is important and CAD/CAM (e.g., Soliworks, Fusion 360 etc) is essential
- Experience with prototyping optical systems is desirable
- Independent and self-motivated
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills with good interpersonal skills
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.