Lecturer, Plant Biotechnology
UP Posting - Academic
FACULTY OF NATURAL AND AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF PLANT AND SOIL SCIENCES
LECTURER: PLANT BIOTECHNOLOGY
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Supervision of postgraduate students;
- Undergraduate and Honours level teaching in broad plant biotechnology and plant physiology topics;
- Acquiring research funding;
- Conducting and leading research in the broad field of plant breeding, plant biotechnology, plant biochemistry, and plant stress responses that builds upon and complements departmental and institutional strengths in plant biotechnology;
- Initiating community engagement projects, and engaging in professional development activities.
- A PhD degree in Plant Breeding, Plant Biotechnology, Plant Biochemistry or related fields.
- Good knowledge of plant molecular biology, plant biochemistry, plant physiology, plant breeding.
- A track record of research and publications in the relevant field in ISI accredited journals.
- Driver's License.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Sufficient knowledge of the required subjects to lecture and present practical’s in plant breeding, plant biotechnology, plant biochemistry, plant stress responses or related fields.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Documented proof of own research outputs in plant biotechnology or related fields.
- Able to seek out funding opportunities and successfully apply for local and international funding.
- Must be able to initiate and manage research partnerships with external stakeholders (e.g. Industry, Government, Science Councils).
- Appropriate language and communication skills, both written and verbal.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Post-doctoral experience;
- Proven academic capabilities in teaching, learning, research and research supervision;
- Experience in undergraduate teaching and some postgraduate supervision;
- Evidence of successful funding applications;
- NRF rating.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone contact details of three referees who can attest to your academic and research profile, whom we have permission to contact;
- Self-evaluation of research career to date;
- University-level teaching portfolio;
- Outline of intended research programme and how this links to existing research in the Department and Faculty.
NOTE: Shortlisted applicants will be required to present a 20 minute undergraduate lecture on a topic that will be provided prior to the interviews.
CLOSING DATE: 25 November 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
For HR related queries Mrs Merilyn Kana, Tel: (012) 420 6662/ 0723481889
For Job Specific queries, Professor Nigel Barker (012) 420 2593 / 083 564 3409
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 January 2021 please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.