Post-doctoral fellow in ecosystem service modelling
6 days left
- Full Time
Post-doctoral fellow in ecosystem service modelling
Lunds universitet, Centrum för miljö- och klimatforskning
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
The Faculty of Science conducts research and education within Biology, Astronomy, Physics, Geosciences, Chemistry, Mathematics and Environmental Sciences. The Faculty is organized into nine departments, gathered in the northern campus area. The Faculty has approximately 1500 students, 330 PhD students and 700 employees.
The Centre for Environmental and Climate Research, CEC (http://www.cec.lu.se) conducts research, education and communication on environmental science and climate research at Lund University.
Preserving semi-natural habitat and reducing use of synthetic chemicals are suggested ways to benefit biodiversity and promote regulating ecosystem services in agricultural landscapes. However, such actions may differ in their effects, e.g. because they promote different aspects of biodiversity, and benefits may depend on landscape structure. We will develop ecological models able to predict the effect of agricultural land-use and management on different biodiversity components and regulating ecosystem services, and validate those using existing data. In collaboration with additional expertise, the models will be linked to an ecological-economic framework to be able to evaluate effects of alternative agricultural policies.
The main duties involved in a post-doctoral posistion is to conduct research. Teaching may also be included, but up to no more than 20% of working hours. The position shall include the opportunity for three weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning.
The main tasks are to:
1) develop/enhance ecological models predicting different aspects of pollinator abundance/diversity in agricultural landscapes that can account for preservation of semi-natural habitats and the extent of organic farming
2) parameterize/validate models on regulating ecosystem services using existing data
3) together with experts in agent-based economic modelling, integrate the models into an ecological-economic framework to evaluate alternative agricultural policies
The postdoc is expected to present results at international conferences, produce high quality scientific papers, and play a driving role in disseminating the results, e.g. through policy briefs and seminars. Stakeholder interaction is part of the project.
Appointment to a post-doctoral position requires that the applicant has a PhD, or an international degree deemed equivalent to a PhD, within the subject of the position, completed no more than three years before the last date for applications. Under special circumstances, the doctoral degree can have been completed earlier.
- We are looking for a candidate with a PhD in ecology, environmental science, mathematics or similar, with documented skills in quantitative ecological modelling
- The candidate should have demonstrated skills in scientific publishing, be fluent in spoken and written English, and be able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Knowledge of mechanistic ecological modelling and in agro-ecology are strong merits
- Experience in or knowledge of ecological-economic modelling is a merit
Assessment criteria and other qualifications
- This is a career development position primarily focused on research. The position is intended as an initial step in a career, and the assessment of the applicants will primarily be based on their research qualifications and potential as researchers.
- Particular emphasis will be placed on research skills within the subject.
- For appointments to a post-doctoral position, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- A good ability to develop and conduct high quality research
Consideration will also be given to good collaborative skills, drive and independence, and how the applicant’s experience and skills complement and strengthen ongoing research within the department, and how they stand to contribute to its future development.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time, fixed-term employment of a maximum of 2 years. The period of employment is determined in accordance with the agreement “Avtal om tidsbegränsad anställning som postdoktor” (“Agreement on fixed-term employment as a post-doctoral fellow”) between Lund University, SACO-S, OFR/S and SEKO, dated 4 September 2008.
Instructions on how to apply
Applications shall be written in English and be compiled into a PDF-file containing:
- résumé/CV, including a list of publications
- a general description of past research and future research interests (no more than three pages)
- contact information of at least two references
- copy of the doctoral degree certificate, and other certificates/grades that you wish to be considered. Please do not send any original documents unless we ask for them.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.