Director of Partnerships
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is on a mission to radically change the way health care is delivered around the world. UGHE is a new university based in Rwanda that is building the next generation of global health professionals—doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts—into leaders and change makers who strive to deliver more equitable, quality health services for all. UGHE is pioneering a new way of training leaders who will emerge ready to develop health care services and systems that connect neglected communities with essential and life-saving attention. UGHE was established in 2014 thanks to a visionary partnership of the Cummings Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Partners in Health and the Rwandan Government.
Title: Director of Partnerships
Reports to: Vice Chancellor
Location: Rwanda with a lot of International Travels
ROLE PURPOSE: UGHE is a growing institution based in Rwanda. With a new campus located in rural Burera District, UGHE is in the midst of an ambitious plan to expand campus facilities, undergraduate, graduate and executive education and a strong research portfolio that addresses issues relevant to improving health and health systems globally. This is an ideal position for an accomplished major gift fundraiser and leader who is interested in supporting the growth of an ambitious and visionary university. The Director of Partnerships is a key member of the UGHE team and will play a pivotal role in the continued excellence and growth of the University of Global Health Equity, leading efforts to create partnerships and build financial support globally. The Director of Partnerships will serve as a key leadership team member and strategic partner to the Vice Chancellor, Board of Trustees and Executive Leadership team and will be directly responsible for UGHE’s fund-raising and partnership team. The Director will lead the strategic growth of all philanthropic revenue streams as UGHE enters a period of critical growth and implements a capital campaign. Based in Rwanda, the Director of Partnerships will travel extensively within Africa, Europe and the US with the aim of expanding our work globally.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Reporting to the Vice Chancellor and working with the Board of Trustees, Senior Management and key volunteers, the Director of Partnership leads the development and implementation of the fundraising strategy including growing long-term fundraising to support the vision and mission of UGHE.
- Provide leadership for all aspects of major gift fundraising including establishing, coordinating and implementing fundraising goals and strategies, managing robust program focused on individual donors, corporations, foundation, government agencies and other academic institutions.
- Oversee the design, implementation, and evaluation of capital campaigns;
- Lead, direct and manage the activities of the Strategic partnerships team setting clear direction about department goals and activities;
- Foster a collaborative team and philanthropic culture within UGHE, engaging academic leaders and staff to grow support.
- Champion the engagement and develop tactics to initiate relationships with prospective funders and partners;
- Provide support to staff, Board members and Volunteers in cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activity in support of UGHE’s fundraising ;
- Diversify donor and partnerships to include relationships with prospective funders and partners in Africa, Europe and Asia while continuing to expand US funders
- Develop UGHE’s fundraising KPIs, in consultation with the Executive Leadership Team of UGHE, to outline the University’s fundraising priorities;
- Manage a portfolio of major gift prospects who can give at least $1,000,000 to UGHE and work to grow the number and amount of major gift activity at the highest level;
- Monitor the progress towards fund raising goals and make appropriate adjustment to the fundraising strategy;
- Manage the frontline fundraisers including the development of KPIs, providing training and mentoring on prospect management and fundraising strategy to achieve performance expectations
- Oversee the communication strategy for Partnerships including the development of a campaign case for support, the UGHE newsletter and talking points for the media whilst integrating campaign milestones into ongoing public relations outreach;
- Facilitate the fundraising committee activities to enhance participation from all senior management members and report to the VC;
- Develop and manage annual and campaign fundraising budgets to ensure the department has adequate funds to achieve its objectives
- In collaboration with Partners in Health Development Team, senior leadership, academic leaders and development staff, plan and manage donor visits to Rwanda;
- Guide the fundraising staff in developing annual plans with specific goals and objectives
- Manage a program of donor acknowledgement, stewardship and public recognition
- Establish and track against growth targets across each member of the Development Team
- Prepare reports on progress of development and partnership activities and present them to the Vice Chancellor and Executive Leadership Team of UGHE to update and inform UGHE’s corporate decision making;
Proposal development and grants management
- Convene and lead multidisciplinary teams, representing appropriate organizational stakeholders to conceptualize proposals and develop budgets reflecting UGHE’s strategic priorities;
- Write and edit persuasive requests for funding, such as letters of inquiry, concept papers, proposals, and grant applications, partnership agreements, MOU’s etc.
- Prepare stewardship reports and other updates to donors in consultation with UGHE Financial Team and program staff and
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrable track record of strategic fundraising and a proven track record of meeting challenging income targets
- Proven ability to build, manage and develop key client and donor relationships and close gifts at the six- and seven-figure level.
- Demonstrated leadership including an ability to develop strategic plans, implement programs, organize, initiate and motivate staff including virtually managing a team;
- Comprehensive campaign experience;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and oral;
- Demonstrated ability to work globally and with donors and staff from diverse cultures
- Experience in staffing volunteer leadership
- Flexible and adaptable style, an ability to work independently and as a team member in a highly collaborative environment
- Master's Degree in finances, international relations, business administration, political science, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of experiences in a similar role
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Great working environment that allows one to reach their greatest potential.
- Prospective career growth opportunities.
UGHE is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.