Art Museum Store Staff
Department Art Museum
Category Arts and Museum Administration
Full-Time / Part-Time Temporary
Application Deadline 12/9/2020
The Princeton University Art Museum, one of the nation’s preeminent cultural institutions in an academic setting, seeks applications for Art Museum Store Staff. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work within the context of an art museum that is intimate in scale yet expansive in scope, supporting one of the most dynamic exhibition programs on any college campus and a program of educational activities and events that continues to grow in energy and impact each year.
A successful store associate engages readily with visitors, imparting knowledge and hospitality while displaying strong selling skills. Superior customer service is expected of every store associate with a focus on teamwork as well as possessing an individual zest for task completion.
We have immediate openings for part-time casual Art Museum Store staff for our satellite store located at 56 Nassau Street, Princeton.
With a collecting history that extends back to 1755, the Princeton University Art Museum is one of the leading university art museums in the country, with collections that have grown to include more than 100,000 works ranging from ancient to contemporary art and spanning the globe. Its collections of Chinese painting, the art of the ancient Americas, and photography are widely regarded as being among the world's finest.
A private institution serving the public good, the Museum is committed to serving the University, local and regional communities, and beyond through a dynamic program of temporary exhibitions, new scholarship, and innovative programming. By collaborating with experts across many disciplines, fostering sustained study of original works of art, and uniting scholarship with broad accessibility, the Museum contributes to the development of critical thinking and visual literacy at Princeton University and enhances the civic fabric of our nation.
The Museum also serves as a gateway to the University for more than 200,000 visitors from around the world each year. Intimate in scale yet expansive in scope, it offers a respite from the rush of daily life, a revitalizing experience of extraordinary works of art and an opportunity to delve deeply into the study of art and culture. The Museum is located at the heart of the Princeton campus, a short walk from the shops and restaurants of Nassau Street, and is free and open to the public.
To learn more about the Princeton University Art Museum, visit artmuseum.princeton.edu
- Increase sales through customer engagement and proactive interaction with visitors.
- Use the Retail POS to enable customers to complete sales.
- Tag and display merchandise, replenish stock, and assist in informing managers of inventory levels...
- Maintain a clean work environment.
- Promote the Museum’s programs, current exhibitions, lectures, special events, as well as museum collections.
Flexible work schedule required which will include hours on Saturdays, Sundays and some evenings. Shifts for key busy periods including holidays are also required. Approximately 15 – 20 hours per week.
- Retail sales experience including cash handling and POS operations required.
- Ability to learn and communicate key product information, especially specifics of handcrafted artisan pieces.
- Comfortable in a rapid paced environment.
- Experience in Windows based computer registers is required as operating POS (point of sale) register system necessary.
- Must be able to routinely lift 30 lb. cartons of books or merchandise.
- Skill with store display and merchandising is preferred but not required.
- Will be trained in all Store related systems, as well as security and emergency preparedness procedures. References will be checked, and a background check is required. This is not a seasonal or short term student position. No phone calls please.
Be advised that you will be contacted only if there is further interest in your application. The candidate dashboard will not display status updates for this requisition.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.