Medical Research Specialist I
- Management of PI’s lab/team: organization, machine/software maintenance, ordering and procurement of hardware/software and consumables.
- Carry out experiments, run simulations, learn new software, perform data analysis, including the statistical analysis, and be involved in interpretation and communication of main results.
- Organize and assist in the laboratory-based practical sessions for undergraduate medical students in the different Biochemistry courses.
- Participate in the training and supervision of graduate and undergraduate students.
- Be responsible for the technical development, maintenance and troubleshooting of all laboratory computers.
- Ensure that the work is completed efficiently and on a timely manner.
- Adhere to the university regulations and safety whenever applicable.
Specific Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Independently conduct experiments involving simulations in density functional theory, electronic structure theory, molecular dynamics, docking, and machine learning in artificial intelligence.
- Maintenance and follow up on short-run and long-run simulations..
- Conduct experiments involving medicinal chemistry, drug discovery, biochemical processes, and mutations.
- Run jobs on Linux (and windows) operating systems, using software like, Gaussian, MolPro, OpenEye, AIMALL, etc.
- Analyze and interpret the results using GUI interfaces like Gaussview, unix shell scripts, and codes like C++, Fortran.
- Generate advanced graphs to illustrate the results.
- Write (advanced English skills are desired), communicate and disseminate the work.
- Undergraduate medical students during the Biochemistry practical sessions.
- Assist in training and supervision of graduate and undergraduate students on specific software/methodologies relevant to their projects (understanding theory, running jobs, extracting data, analyzing results, and writing it).
- Train and supervise other research staff recruited on grants, graduate and undergraduate students.
Minimum Qualification PhD degree in a relevant discipline (computational sciences, computational chemistry/biochemistry)
Preferred Qualification Demonstrated prior experience in using various operating systems including Unix/Linux, ab initio electronic structure theory, density functional theory, machine learning in artificial intelligence, molecular dynamics is essential.
Expected Skills/Rank/Experience Minimum 3-4 years in academic or research institution setting and/or in the relevant scientific field.
Special Instructions to Applicant
Division College of Medicine&Health Sciences
Department Biochemistry - (CMHS)
Job Close Date open until filled
Job Category Staff
Salary 7000 to 18000 AED