Student Services Specialist
The School of Engineering
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
The Department of Aeronautics & Astronautics seeks a Student Services Specialist to administer student and academic services with a key role in the admissions processes at the graduate level. The position will serve as a primary contact regarding department policy and procedures, as well as inquiries related to graduate admissions. The Student Services Specialist will be responsible for auditing and reporting graduate applicant and matriculated student data. The successful candidate will report to the Student Services Manager and will collaborate with faculty and staff on a variety of projects.
Your responsibilities include:
- Review documents and forms for completeness, track files for follow up and distribute for review.
- Research and resolve routine issues, refer complex issues to other staff.
- Input data, update electronic databases, websites, literature, and associated materials. May collect, gather and validate data, prepare basic reports.
- Coordinate logistics for outreach activities, meetings, and events.
- Respond to routine inquiries from students, faculty, external constiutents, and staff.
- Administer, implement and interpret university and/or department admissions policies and procedures.
- Make recommendations regarding graduate admissions policies and procedures to the Department Chair and Chair of Admissions.
- Serve as a subject matter resource to students and other departments.
- Contribute to general office administration and process improvements.
- May train and direct day to day activities of student and temporary workers.
- Flexibility in completing other assigned duties.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- An associates degree and one year of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Customer service and basic office administration skills.
- Basic computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to learn compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- A Bachelor’s degree.
- Prior experience in an academic setting.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your previous office administration and customer service experience. Please provide examples.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory for all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with any disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or another other characteristic protected by law.
Job Code: 7500
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 87667