Research Fellow, Sea-Level Change
5 days left
- Full Time
The Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) seeks a Research Fellow with demonstrable expertise in applying geological methods to investigate neotectonic, paleoseismic, geomorphic, or sea-level problems to participate in research on coastal uplift, subsidence, and relative sea-level change in Southeast Asia.
The candidate will work under the supervision of Assistant Professor Aron Meltzner as part of the Geology of Earthquakes and Sea Level team, and will collaborate with other members of the Tectonics and Climate groups in the Earth Observatory of Singapore, to evaluate tectonic and sea-level hazards at sites across the region.
Our work is heavily field-based, and we have sites in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines; however, ongoing travel restrictions resulting from the global pandemic may prevent access to some sites in the foreseeable future, and candidates should be open to working in any of the aforementioned countries.
- Lead research in coastal deformation, in particular by reconstructing changes in sea level and land level at multiple time scales over the Holocene, using geological proxy data and/or remote sensing data
- Write manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals based on these findings
- Work collaboratively and interactively with fellow researchers studying interrelated problems
- Help oversee student research on related projects
- Ph.D. in Earth science, environmental science, geology, or a related field
- Minimum 5 years of field-based research experience in geological and/or environmental sciences
- Strong expertise in neotectonics, paleoseismology, and/or coastal geomorphology
- Research experience in remote sensing and/or computer-based modeling of geological data
- Demonstrable understanding of potential impacts of tectonics and/or glacial isostatic adjustment on relative sea level would be advantageous
- Proficiency in Adobe® Photoshop®, Adobe® Illustrator®, ArcGIS, and MATLAB® would be advantageous
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Demonstrated ability and enthusiasm for collaborative research, including helping to train students
- Strong record of publication in related topics, including first-author papers published in peer-reviewed journals (at least one of these papers should be in an English-language journal)
Interested applicants are invited to submit a full CV and a cover letter outlining your interest and fit for the post.
We regret to inform that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Hiring Institution: NTU