Research Fellow, Genomics/Aquatic Ecology/Organismal Biology/Microbiology/Bioinformatics
NTU Main Campus, Singapore
The Singapore Centre for Environmental Life Sciences Engineering (SCELSE) is a unique interdisciplinary Research Centre of Excellence (RCE), funded by National Research Foundation, Singapore Ministry of Education, Nanyang Technological University and National University of Singapore. Hosted by NTU in partnership with NUS, SCELSE is linking new insights from the life sciences with expertise from the emerging technologies in engineering and natural sciences to understand, harness and control microbial biofilm communities.
SCELSE is looking for a highly motivated individual to join us as a Research Fellow to develop genomic bioindicators of water quality in the tropics. The Research Fellow will join a recently funded project on the toxicity of microplastics and their biofilms in the green mussel (Perna viridis). The Research Fellow will also be given opportunities to develop additional lines of inquiry, subject to successful funding outcomes.
- Establish a bioinformatic pipeline for RNASeq analysis of the green mussel (Perna viridis)
- Work with collaborators to conduct experiments testing mussel ecotoxicological responses to microplastics and their associated biofilms
- Determine differential and global expression patterns in mussel transcriptomic data from challenge experiments
- Analyse plastic-associated biofilm communities using DNA extraction, amplicon sequencing and standard bioinformatic work flows
- PhD in genomics, aquatic ecology, organismal biology, microbiology, bioinformatics or other related disciplines
- Competent in basic biology laboratory techniques
- Possess the ability to follow standard molecular biology protocols
- Competent with tools and methods for genomic and transcriptomic data analysis
- Experience with analysis of non-model organisms preferred
- Strong communication and data analysis skills
- Ability to write research reports and publications
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Hiring Institution: NTU