Category Research and Laboratory
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Name of Lab Staggs Lab - Simons Observatory
The Department of Physics at Princeton University seeks a technical assistant to work on all packaging requirements for the Simons Observatory (SO) detectors and readout under the supervision of Professor Suzanne Staggs. SO will consist of a suite of new telescopes, which aim to observe the cosmic microwave background with unprecedented sensitivity. The packaging of the cutting-edge SO detectors and readout is taking place at Princeton. Tasks will include wire bonding (both Al and Au) to interconnect superconducting circuits, using automated die bonding to glue silicon chips to silicon wafers, inventorying and inspecting parts, quality assurance validation andother associated assembly and packaging tasks. The technical assistant will additionally help work to make the assembly process robust and automated. The successful applicant must be prepared to work effectively with a variety of graduate students and faculty, and be flexible enough to respond to evolving plans as methods are optimized. This is a one-year term position, with the possibility of renewal.
- Wire bonding (both Al and Au)
- Die bonding
- Inventorying and inspecting parts
- Quality assurance validation
- Other assembly/packaging tasks
- H.S. diploma or GED as well as one to three years' relevant experience required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Ability to work autonomously while also taking direction and constructive feedback well.
- Ability to lift at least 20 pounds.
- Willingness and patience to both learn and train.
- Prior work experience in an academic/research environment.
- Demonstrated initiative, excellent organizational skills, ability to work within a team and to work independently, managing multiple priorities simultaneously within tight timelines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, enthusiasm for customer service, and the ability to work with students, staff, and faculty from diverse backgrounds.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.