Manager, Visitor Experience
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
The Visitor Experience Manager serves as the on-site manager for the Arboretum’s visitor-facing operations. The Manager is responsible for supervising frontline staff, ensuring exceptional customer service, overseeing transactions, and managing operations.
The Visitor Experience Manager supervises, supports, and coaches a diverse group of 15-20 part-time frontline staff, ensuring a high level of professionalism and service-orientation. This position serves as the on-site manager for Visitor Experience, leading by example and jumping in to assist on the frontline whenever needed. This position serves as an on-call manager for visitor and facility emergencies during public/event hours.
The VE Manager works toward ensuring that the many people who visit have a wonderful experience, which requires planning for and addressing visitor satisfaction and safety. This position provides information and resolves issues for visitors in person, over the phone, and via email in a friendly, professional manner. Additionally, the VE Manager assists with Departmental planning pertaining to visitor engagement and satisfaction.
This role entails operational responsibility within the Visitor Experience Department, including:
- Ensuring efficient, effective operation of admissions, the visitor center/shop, and parking.
- Scheduling frontline staff, ensuring adequate staff resources for a variety of functional areas.
- Handling visitor communications.
- Assisting with retail purchasing and reporting, as needed.
- Managing cash banks and overseeing on-site transactional integrity.
- Providing support for the Rental Program.
To be successful in this role, the new Visitor Experience Manager will be:
- An Associate's Degree or two year college equivalent and 3 years to 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Customer focused and have extensive experience serving customers/clients.
- Able to demonstrate experience with and the ability to manage staff, having honed skills in building teams, dealing with difficult situations, and creating positive work environments.
- Calm under pressure, comfortable interacting with diverse groups, and able to think on their feet.
- Professional, self-confident, comfortable addressing issues directly, and willing to jump in where needed.
- Good with details and information.
- Strong with both verbal and written communications.
- Able to laugh when things don’t go right.
The candidate will also have:
- A valid driver’s license.
- The ability and willingness to work most weekends as well as some evenings and holidays.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
$20.00 - $36.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.