Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Caltech Student Health Services provides care to graduate and undergraduate students who are scientifically minded, culturally diverse, and engaged in a rigorous academic environment. Our tight-knit campus allows for flexibility and strong relationships within Student Affairs to support the unique needs of each student. Health Services is co-located with Counseling Services and is part of the larger umbrella of Student Wellness Services. The medical director works closely with mental health professionals to consult and collaborate on complex cases involving the intersection of physical and mental health.
Under the direction of the Executive Director of Student Wellness Services, the Medical Director is responsible for the day-to-day clinical operations and direct management of the staff of Health Services. The incumbent will work collaboratively with colleagues to support the mission of the Institute by delivering high-quality medical care and promoting health and wellness education. In particular, the Medical Director will take the lead in developing a service-delivery model that meets the needs of the Caltech student community through a passionate commitment to healthcare within a university environment. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent communication and management skills in order to facilitate the delivery of efficient, quality care by a small team of medical professionals. Direct Clinical Service: 50%; Management Responsibilities: 50% (varies with needs of Institute).
– Collaborates with the Executive Director of Student Wellness Services to create and achieve vision for comprehensive health and wellness objectives for the Caltech student community
– Supervises all mid-level providers and nursing staff; completes annual performance evaluations
– Directs CLIA-Waived Laboratory, performing waived tests and provider performed microscopy; assures compliance with proficiency testing for provider performed microscopy
– Oversees the day-to-day clinical operations of Health Services, including staff scheduling, clinical consultation, and workflow management
– Develops and maintains protocols and process documents to guide within-scope clinical practice for mid-level providers and to meet regulatory requirements
– Establishes policies and procedures; conducts annual review and update
– Consults with Executive Director of Student Wellness Services regarding Health Services budget expenditures
– Leads inquiry into potential revenue recovery/billing/student fee modifications to ensure an appropriately resourced healthcare operation
– Contributes to development and implementation of Electronic Health Record (EHR) features; acts as expert user for EHR with ability to modify clinical features and troubleshoot with assistance of Information Technology Department and EHR vendor
– Acts as OSHA training officer and conducts annual OSHA training for staff; assures compliance with OSHA workplace regulations
– Organizes and provides in-service trainings for clinical staff
– Develops and implements new programs and services in response to the health needs of the Caltech student population
– Models and maintains collaborative communication with clinical team to address performance management issues, improve staff cohesion, and effective conflict resolution
– Works collaboratively with other mental health and medical professionals within Student Wellness Services, as well as Athletics, Student Affairs, community providers, local hospital, and the Pasadena Public Health Department
– Executes Institute public health response to pandemic; including contact tracing infrastructure, testing protocols, and other associated response strategies
– Develops relationships with community healthcare providers to ensure appropriate referrals for students requiring specialized care
– Consults with the Executive Director of Student Wellness Services and the Vice President of Student Affairs regarding Caltech-sponsored health plan and related services
– Participates actively in campus safety planning, public health initiatives and emergency preparation activities
– Special projects and other duties as assigned
– Provides evidence-based, quality healthcare for students with acute, episodic illnesses/injuries as well as chronic conditions
– Provides basic specialty care specific to college age students including but not limited to ADHD, uncomplicated mental health pharmacology, treatment of gender dysphoria, minor surgical procedures, sports medicine, concussion management and eating disorders
– Coordinates care between Health Services and hospital for students requiring higher level of care
– Effectively communicates and interacts with a diverse group of patients, families, staff and members of the community
– Contributes to campus-wide health education/promotion programs and training for staff and campus partners
– Keeps abreast of developments in best practices for university-based healthcare
– Leads medical-related response to individuals and/or groups during campus-wide crises and natural disasters
– Evaluate students for conditions related to public health diseases of concern
– Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from an accredited medical school
– Current, unrestricted license to practice medicine (including DEA license and BLS certification) in the State of California, or ability to obtain by the time of hire
– Board certification in an appropriate specialty as recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) or equivalent training and/or experience (certification must be maintained during the tenure as Medical Director)
– Minimum of 2 years post-residency clinical practice, and 1 year supervisory experience
– General knowledge of the requirements and application of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
– Working knowledge of coding and documentation for insurance billing
– Knowledge of medical records security and regulations and patient care documentation standards
– Knowledge of OSHA requirements and ability to conduct required training
– Qualifications and knowledge to qualify as a laboratory director per CLIA regulations
– Demonstrated success in managing a team of direct reports, including conflict resolution management
– Demonstrated proficiency in oral and written communication skills, public speaking, and leading group discussions
– Demonstrated awareness and commitment to effectively establishing relationships and positive communications across multiple dimensions of diversity including, but not limited to race, gender, physical limitations, class or religious perspectives
– The ability to meet the physical requirements of the position, including the ability to sit, bend, stoop, walk, and stand for extended periods of time; the ability to talk on the phone, and regularly use a computer; moderate lifting (not usually more than 50 lbs.) as part of the normal clinical environment; and the ability to be mobile across campus
– 2+ years experience in the management of a college/university health center
– Demonstrated knowledge and successful contributions to AAAHC accreditation process
– Cover Letter
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
To read more Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) go to eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf.
If you would like to request an accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Caltech Recruiting at firstname.lastname@example.org.