Litigation Paralegal, Gittis Center for Clinical Legal Studies
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Litigation Paralegal, Gittis Center for Clinical Legal Studies
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
The Litigation Paralegal in Penn Law's Gittis Center for Clinical Legal Studies is responsible for providing administrative and paralegal support to law students, clinical faculty, and the clinic’s Administrative Director and for serving as a collaborative member of the clinic’s administrative team to ensure the delivery of high quality educational and legal services. This permanent full-time position requires physical presence at Penn Law’s Gittis Center for Clinical Legal Studies, although duties and responsibilities may be handled remotely at times in accordance with University of Pennsylvania health and safety policies and protocols.
The Litigation Paralegal is responsible for providing administrative and paralegal support to law students, clinical faculty, and the clinic’s Administrative Director and for serving as a collaborative member of the clinic’s administrative team to ensure the delivery of high quality educational and legal services. This permanent full-time position requires physical presence at Penn Law’s Gittis Center for Clinical Legal Studies, although duties and responsibilities may be handled remotely at times in accordance with University of Pennsylvania health and safety policies and protocols.
- Provide administrative support to law students and clinical faculty representing clients and working on special projects in a broad range of litigation practice areas, including disability, employment, consumer protection, family law, guardianship, housing and landlord-tenant, immigration law, civil rights, human rights, and public benefits law.
- Train students on appropriate office policies and procedures, case file maintenance, use of legal, office, and communication tools, and model law office professional conduct.
- Use iManage (FileSite) document management software, Microsoft 365 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, SharePoint, etc.), Adobe Acrobat, LegalServer, and other electronic platforms to organize case files; prepare and finalize correspondence and other documents; become familiar with court and administrative filing procedures and assist in preparation, production, and submission of administrative and judicial pleadings and other filings (both e-filings and paper filings); track client applications; maintain records and calendars; manage case logistics including communication with court personnel and others; and conduct legal research as needed.
- Demonstrate excellent spoken and written communication skills in person and while using multiple course and communication platforms, including Canvas, Outlook, MS Teams, Zoom, and Skype.
- Collaborate as a member of the administrative team to ensure the smooth functioning of clinic operations and to assist with clients and visitors, incoming and outgoing mail, training exercises, research needs, and other projects.
- Design/edit training materials and provide routine training to students and faculty in using technology and case management tools effectively. Trouble-shoot technology problems with the law school IT department and/or external support teams/consultants.
- Provide administrative support to faculty in preparing, updating, and proofreading course materials and course websites.
- Assist with publicity of the clinics’ activities via social media, websites, and internal communications.
- Assist with referral and selection of cases, legal representation of clients, and with educational outreach to client communities, as needed.
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s Degree and 3-5 years of experience in a law firm, public interest/legal services organization, corporate law department or other legal environment are required. Candidates must have experience with varied aspects of civil trial preparation, including federal and state electronic filing; preparing tables of authorities; scheduling and setting up depositions; preparing exhibits; organizing and preparing briefs; and researching rules of civil procedure and court protocols. Experience with and an affinity for working with clients with diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds. Commitment to the Penn Law Ideals required.
Bilingual Spanish/English spoken and written language proficiency is strongly preferred.
In addition, these attributes are highly valued:
- An appreciation for the mission of the Gittis Legal Clinics, the clients we serve, and the students we educate;
- A background and/or experiences that will contribute to the diversity, vitality, and cultural perspective of our clinical education program, staff, and clients;
- Experience with using interpreters, translators, and other language access resources;
- The ability to learn quickly and think creatively;
- A willingness to learn and embrace new technology;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task and prioritize, and manage tasks under pressure;
- A commitment to learning new systems and improving upon existing systems;
- The ability to work well both independently and collaboratively with colleagues throughout the law school and with outside partners; and
- Demonstrated reliability, responsibility, initiative, and enthusiasm for contributing to high quality services and work products.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to apply. Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
$23.60 - $42.48
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.