Manager Electrical Trades
Supervises and coordinates activities of Electrical trade personnel engaged in the maintenance and renovation of University buildings and property. Supports the Senior Managers in the re-engineering of workforce productivity and efficiency improvements to meet the changing requirements of office, teaching, biomedical research and clinical space. Creates an environment where employees thrive, grow and excel in the delivery of services to the Yale Community.
Oversees the activities related to routine and emergency work in electrical systems to provide a timely and efficient response to building maintenance and environmental systems in a 24/7 operation. Manages and coordinates activities for service and maintenance response to electrical systems with various service responders to ensure timely delivery and completion of service work throughout the University buildings and other related areas. Supervises a staff of licensed non-exempt employees. Determines equipment, materials and staff necessary to meet required time frames and schedules. Evaluates staff performance and proposes supplementary training programs. Develops and administers safety programs.
- Oversees the activities related to routine and emergency work in mechanical, electrical or plumbing systems to provide a timely and efficient response to building maintenance and environmental systems in a 24/7 operation. Manages and coordinates activities for service and maintenance response to electrical systems with various service responders to ensure timely delivery and completion of service work throughout the University buildings and other related areas.
- Supervises a staff of licensed non-exempt employees. Determines equipment, materials and staff necessary to meet required time frames and schedules. Evaluates staff performance and proposes supplementary training programs. Develops and administers safety programs.
- Conducts periodic inspections of buildings and facilities to determine repair and replacement needs. In conjunction with other trades managers, establish procedures and frequencies for preventative maintenance. Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service. Supports other trade shops as required by operational needs. Develops procedure and protocols for operation.
- Develops and maintains various reports used in conjunction with metrics/performance measurements and electrical related incident documentation. Authorizes and monitors services and repairs from outside contractors/vendors. Prepares and administer the annual operating budget of the shop.
- Manages building system shutdown requirements. Analyzes cost data upon completion of shutdowns and makes recommendations to improve effectiveness. Ensures proper notification of customers affected by the shutdown.
- Reviews and provides feedback on design documentation for projects implemented with Planning and Project Management. Assists project teams with walk-throughs and infrastructure review related to a project. Attends project meetings as necessary during design and construction to interface with project design and construction teams on MEP related issues that impact building system infrastructure.
- Supports development and maintenance of electrical related design standards for the University. Reviews project drawings and documentation implemented for compliance with standards.
- Estimates time and material costs for all work efforts, determining sequences and methods to be used. Inspects completed work to ensure compliance with established standards and building codes. Ensure maintenance of adequate inventory of supplies and materials and evaluate and recommend purchases of new products as required.
- Responsible for the planning and scheduling of alterations and renovations work to minimize system failures. Compares alternate solutions and determines how to best utilize staff and outside contractors.
- Provides on-site supervision and management of operational based projects and sub-contractors for project compliance. Manages the bidding process in accordance with procurement requirements. Sets clear communication plans to the customers/building occupants.
- Evaluates customer needs. Assess and resolves customer complaints regarding building operation, maintenance, and safety. Analyzes and responds to emergencies. Determines the most effective means and methods for maintaining systems.
- Working with the Office of Environmental Health and Safety, resolve health and safety issues involving students, faculty, staff and visitors at Yale University. Ensures compliance with EH&S safety requirements.13. Provides innovative thought and concepts, stays informed of latest techniques, and incorporates best practices to continually improve services.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree and seven (7) years of trades related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Strong knowledge base in the standard practices and methods of the electrical profession.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Proven ability to manage and coordinate activities of electrical staff engaged in planning and scheduling of maintenance and repair work, construction and renovation projects, and shop operations.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Strong knowledge of electrical building codes and related regulations.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Ability to coordinate and manage multiple tasks and deadlines effectively related to routine and emergency building maintenance and environmental systems.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Excellent verbal and written communications skills wit the ability to use Microsoft Office.
Required Licenses or Certifications
E2, P2 or S2 or higher.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Additional Background or Health Screening Requirements
Selected incumbent must have successful completion of a DMV check and a valid driver’s license.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus