Senior Lab Manager, Molecular Diagnostics
Applicant must have leadership quality in building and working with the team of laboratory staff. Working independently, under general supervision of Medical Director, performs a variety of routine, but sophisticated Molecular protocols for diagnostic testing. Interprets quality controls on molecular biology assays. Through literature searches and conferences with Laboratory Director(s) and other Clinical Managers, may assist in determining the most suitable methodologies to be used. This position is responsible for overseeing and managing the expansion of Molecular Diagnostics amongst various sites including the development of new sites. Provides excellent orientation and training of new and existing laboratory staff to include the development and implementation of proficiency and competency testing on a consistent basis. Applicant must have the ability to work collaboratively with contacts both internal and external to the laboratory, and to make decisions and direct the activities of others.
Principal duties and responsibilities in collaboration with Medical Director:
- Oversees all operational aspects of multi-site labs.
- Manages and coordinates all laboratory staffing.
- Maintains diagnostic viability of specimens received. Prepares clinical specimens for testing, which includes handling of tissues and blood samples, centrifugation spectrophotometry, gel electrophoresis and robotic instrumentation.
- Utilizes protocols with a variety of molecular assays that are constantly evolving as the discipline develops, but includes PCR, RT-PCR, QRT-PCR, capillary gel electrophoresis, Sanger sequencing and next generation sequencing platforms.
- Accurately records all procedures and data in laboratory. Documents and follows up on any errors, failures, and quality assurance issues encountered.
- Responsible for organizing and executing entire day workload, which will vary and require adjusting to the clinical specimens obtained each day. Must work with other technologists and managers/supervisors as a team.
- Independently evaluates existing protocols and recommends changes.
- Actively participates in the validation of new clinical assays with attention to quality assurance and quality controls using good laboratory practice.
- Independently troubleshoots problems relating to routine operation of laboratory.
- Responsible for providing accurate patient information to clinicians as requested, following established laboratory protocols.
- Interprets quality controls on molecular assays. Responsible for documentation of daily QA/QC charts for all laboratory equipment and assays.
- Assists with the organization and tracking of data for the Proficiency testing program for the lab.
- Assists with cost analyses and budget development and monitoring.
- Orients and trains fellows, residents, students, new and less advanced technologists.
- Prepares or handles large inventory of varied reagents in the lab and maintains quality control of reagents.
- Assures that laboratory supplies are maintained and ordered as needed and assures sufficient inventory is available for anticipated test volumes.
- Actively works to identify the most appropriate suppliers.
- Assures that laboratory equipment is maintained in proper working order, following appropriate laboratory safety protocols.
- Maintains established department policies, procedures and objectives, including the areas of quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
- Play major role in assuring section compliance with all CMS, CLIA, CAP, Joint Commission, DPH, OSHA and other regulations including reporting of patient test results as required by regulatory agencies.
- Follows all JC National Patient Safety Goals and related BWH Pathology and Hospital Policies.
- Support and model organizational behavioral standards in maintaining a positive work environment.
- Reviews and determines staffing needs, job posting requirements, salary guidelines, and labor agreement interpretations for exempt and non-exempt staff in one or more functional department of the University.
- Manages the administrative support needs for exempt and nonexempt staff and provides recommendations, improvements, solutions and assistance as needed.
- Manages and monitors technology needs, conducts inventory, and system requirements for the assigned departments.
- Develops and prepares budgets, financial forecasts, and financial analyses and the actual vs. budgeted performance reports for the departments.
- Manages the use of facilities in one or more departments including office space, work stations, equipment, and office supplies.
- Manages administrative support for activities of one or more departments to ensure timely completion of projects.
- Manages and coordinates training sessions for assigned departments when new policies or practices are adopted.
- Ensures compliance with University and federal regulations as they apply to the assigned departments.
- Identifies, plans, and develops administrative policies for the assigned departments.
- Assists in reviewing and implements University and departmental policies as they pertain to the administrative functions of the assigned department.
- Assesses and makes recommendations regarding staff development and staffing levels.
- Monitors, develops, plans, and executes systematic research on user requirements through such mechanisms as surveys, interviews, focus groups and competitive analysis.
- Manages a staff of exempt and non-exempt employees.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in related field and 5 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Strong interpersonal, management and technical skills.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
High level verbal and written communication skills.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
High level organizational and analytic skills. Ability to assess and redesign workflows as needed.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Credible understanding of molecular techniques such as PCR, FISH, NGS.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Ability to manage staffing and supply inventories for a busy, high volume laboratory.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Minimum 5 years of laboratory experience in Molecular biology. Minimum 3 years management experience in a laboratory. Bachelor’s Degree in Molecular Biology or related laboratory science.
Preferred Licenses or Certifications:
MB (ASCP) Certification
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus