Electron Microscopy Lab Manager
Manage the day to day activities of the Electron Microscopy Laboratory including organize and prioritize the distribution of daily work. With a thorough knowledge of ultra structural aspects of diseases of the kidney, liver, lung, muscle, cilia, nerve, and skin, and utilizing specialized laboratory techniques obtain digital images which best yield a clinical diagnosis.
- Manage the day to day operations of the laboratory. Assigns work priorities, supervise workflow, and delegate responsibility for laboratory functions. Monitor work progress and evaluate performance based on job requirements. Troubleshoot problems in routine specimen analysis, devise and implement systems of data collection, analysis and reporting to establish standards of performance for benchmarking processes.
- Maintain laboratory SOPs and policies to ensure current methodologies, process and procedures are identified and understood.
- Institute and execute quality control and quality improvement measures and establish standards of performance to comply with University, State and Federal Regulatory agency standards.
- Perform a variety of duties to coordinate operations, functions and services for the lab relating to the College of American Pathologist (CAP) accreditation process including, but not limited to implementing policies to accomplish established goals and address deficiencies in lab, maintaining equipment, reagent inventory, procedure manuals and safety regulation in accordance with CAP specifications to ensure compliance with CAP regulation. ·
- Work closely with Department administration and HR to develop position descriptions along with the selection of new staff members.
- Orientate and train new staff members on laboratory policy and procedures. Evaluate performance based on job requirements and implement corrective action where necessary.
- With a thorough knowledge of ultrastructural aspects of disease of the kidney as well as liver, lung, muscle, cilia, nerve, and skin, independently perform electron microscopy with various types of specimens.
- Work towards development of new diagnostic testing using recently developed techniques. Ensure specimens are adequately processed and that specimen identification is maintained.
- Evaluate and initiate methods for achieving costs savings.
- Manage the set-up operation and maintenance of laboratory equipment including the preparation of reagents and ordering of supplies.
- Maintain University and government policies and regulations with regards to hazardous waste disposal, and biological waste disposal.
- Manage collection and recording of data for presentation to the attending pathologists and for archival storage.
- Reviews and determines staffing needs, job posting requirements, salary guidelines, and labor agreement interpretations for exempt and non-exempt staff in one or more functional department of the University.
- Manages the administrative support needs for exempt and nonexempt staff and provides recommendations, improvements, solutions and assistance as needed.
- Manages and monitors technology needs, conducts inventory, and system requirements for the assigned departments.
- Develops and prepares budgets, financial forecasts, and financial analyses and the actual vs. budgeted performance reports for the departments.
- Manages the use of facilities in one or more departments including office space, work stations, equipment, and office supplies.
- Manages administrative support for activities of one or more departments to ensure timely completion of projects.
- Manages and coordinates training sessions for assigned departments when new policies or practices are adopted.
- Ensures compliance with University and federal regulations as they apply to the assigned departments.
- Identifies, plans, and develops administrative policies for the assigned departments.
- Assists in reviewing and implements University and departmental policies as they pertain to the administrative functions of the assigned department.
- Assesses and makes recommendations regarding staff development and staffing levels.
- Monitors, develops, plans, and executes systematic research on user requirements through such mechanisms as surveys, interviews, focus groups and competitive analysis.
- Manages a staff of exempt and non-exempt employees.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in related field and three years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Previous experience with supervisory or management in a laboratory setting.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Ability to accommodate the "team" approach to lab management. Strong organizational and supervisory abilities with outstanding communication skills.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to manage in a unionized environment as well as to manage up with laboratory and department leadership.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Strong technical skills in semi-thin and thin sectioning and use of the electron microscope and digital imaging camera system.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Strong knowledge of cellular pathology.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Master's degree in related areas with four years of experience or Bachelor's degree in related areas with six years of experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus