In 1971, Yale University began a unique and historic experiment providing health services to its facility, staff and students through a multidisciplinary health maintenance organization located on campus. Now, 47 years later, Yale Health has more than 37,000 members including students, staff, faculty and their families who come from every state in the country and almost every country in the world.
Our state of the art facility at 55 Lock Street, built in 2010, is where our members receive most of their care. It is a 144,000 square foot medical facility with over 90 exam rooms, a 24/7 Acute Care Department, a 17-bed inpatient facility with two negative pressure rooms, a diagnostic imaging suite including MR and CT scan, x-ray and ultrasound and a full-service retail pharmacy. It houses our 150+ providers, including 111 primary and consulting physicians.
As a member of the Yale Health Diagnostic Imaging Department team, performs specialized testing procedures appropriate to ultrasonography in radiology. In addition to the responsibilities below, the Ultrasound Technologist performs high level disinfection of ultrasound probes; assists patients when necessary to dress/undress for exams or in transfers to/from equipment; and perform additional functions related to clinical and clerical activities as needed.
- Independently performs specialized testing procedures appropriate to specialty.
- Performs preliminary screening examination for physician review. Reviews patient’s chart, patient’s condition, and physician’s notes to plan and determine method of testing. Positions patients.
- Sets up, operates, and maintains equipment to conduct tests and procedures appropriate to specialty. Assists patients when necessary to dress/undress for exams, or in transfers to/from wheel chair, stretcher, exam tables, etc.
- Provides information to patients concerning specific tests and procedures. Reads and interprets obtained images. Records test results. Identifies and reports abnormalities.
- Coordinates processing of slides and film. Instructs and acts as a source of information on testing techniques, procedures, and equipment operation.
- Schedules patient appointments and originates billing paperwork. Reviews and prepares financial paperwork related to clinical activities.
- Analyzes and compiles patient information.
- Creates visual aids for lecture presentations and publications.
- Reports equipment problems and acts as a liaison with repair personnel. Maintains quality control checks and log service records. Orders and maintains inventory of supplies. Maintains disposal inventory per department protocol regarding date of use/disposal.
- Performs additional functions related to clinical activities.
Required Education and Experience
Eight years of related experience, six of them in the same job family at the next lower level and a high school level education; or six years of related experience and an Associate's Degree; or two years of related work experience and a Bachelor's Degree; or an equivalent combination of experience and education..
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated skill in applying techniques of diagnostic imaging and ultrasound in a safe and reliable manner.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Well-developed interpersonal skills and the ability to develop positive relationships with patients and co-workers.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Excellent attendance, punctuality and reliability.
Preferred Licenses or Certifications:
Certification as a Diagnostic Medical Sonographer.
Weekend Hours Required? Occasional
Evening Hours Required? Occasional
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note Yale University is a tobacco-free campus