Research Assistant, Asphalt Testing
- Full-time, 1.5 years, fixed-term contract; based at RMIT Bundoora campus but may be required to work and/or based at other campuses of the University
- Excellent opportunities for Civil Engineering qualified professionals to expand and build their research experience and develop new skills working with multidisciplinary researchers in the area of bitumen/asphalt testing
- Join a national research initiative funded by Austroads
- Reports directly to the Discipline Leader, Geotechnical and Infrastructure Engineering
- Remuneration at Academic Level A ($68,983 - $93,569) + 17% superannuation
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students, and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 130 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMITs leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally focused graduates.
Our Values inspire us, wherever we are in the world, and guide how we live and work together.
Imagination. Agility. Courage. Passion. Impact. Inclusion.
What unites us is our purpose and our values; they are at the heart of who we are, what we stand for, how we make decisions and connect with each other.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices.
About the College
The College comprises three Schools delivering a broad range of programs in science, engineering, health and technology at higher education certificate, bachelor, masters and PhD levels. There is a vibrant research community attracting funding from a range of government and industry sources. The College has an annual income of approximately $500 million (with over $50 million in external research income p/a) and employs around 1,400 staff providing on and offshore programs to approximately 30,000 students (including 1,200 PhD students).
The School of Engineering comprises a diverse range of disciplines: Aerospace Engineering & Aviation; Chemical & Environmental Engineering; Civil & Infrastructure Engineering; Electrical & Biomedical Engineering; Electronic & Telecommunication Engineering; Manufacturing, Materials & Mechatronic Engineering; Mechanical & Automotive Engineering.
As a top 100 university in the world for engineering (2015 QS Rankings by Faculty; Engineering and Technology), RMIT Engineering provides students with work-relevant education programs, access to excellent research facilities and opportunities to engage in creative real-world project work through robust relations with local and international industry leaders.
About You & the Role
- Conduct effective & efficient laboratory testing requirements (both on City campus and Bundoora campuses) when required on bitumen, asphalt and their respective modifications with polymers and/or additives
- Collect and collate data as well as ensuring all documentation on project progress is well maintained and up-to-date
- Prepare draft of technical reports and present data outputs as well as participation in fortnightly meetings with the project leader
- Oversee and support students and high degree by research students in conducting experiments in the laboratory
- Ensure all laboratory works are performed following laboratory policies and RMIT policies and procedures as well as any legislative requirements and as established by the laboratory manager
- Assist in preparation of quotes and forms for purchasing laboratory machines and consumables
- Contribute 10% of your time to mentor & supervise undergraduate students
You will have:
- Proven experience performing experimental research with asphalt and bitumen testing in the laboratory
- Sound understanding and good knowledge of Australian & international standards on bitumen/asphalt as well as the ability to work independently in conducing laboratory tests on asphalt and bitumen
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently both as a member of a research team and independently when required, as well as the ability to build effective networks with colleagues and project team leaders meet project outcomes and milestones
- Strong organizational and time-management skills to meet demand of workloads and competing priorities
- Good communication skills (both verbal and written) research findings and knowledge through demonstrated high-quality technical reports and presentational skills
Mandatory: Degree qualified with Bachelor of Honours or Masters degree in Civil Engineering.
Preferred: Candidate with Masters in civil engineering with commensurate working experience in NATA accredited asphalt/bitumen laboratory will be highly regarded.
Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check.
Bring your whole self to work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond
We are proud that our dedication to diversity has been recognized by a broad spectrum of external organizations. Visit our Linkedin Life pages to learn more and see some of our most recent wins
Please submit your updated resume and cover letter outlining your experience & achievements by clicking on the 'Apply now link. Please note that a separate response to Key Selection Criteria as stated on the Position Description is required. For any enquiries regarding this role, Dr Filippo Giustozzi (email@example.com )
We are also happy to make adjustments to the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us via your preferred type of communication: email TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au or call Kassie on +61399252442 with your request(s).
Applications close Thursday 26th November 2020.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australias immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/