Research Fellow, Asphalt Materials for Sustainable Pavements
- Full-time, 1.5 years, fixed-term contract; based at RMIT Bundoora campus but may be required to work and/or based at other campuses of the University
- Utilise and further develop your research expertise through conducting research and development activities with asphalt and bitumen testing in the laboratory
- Be part of a national research initiative funded by Austroads
- Reports directly to the Discipline Leader, Geotechnical and Infrastructure Engineering
- Remuneration at Academic Level A ($68,983 - $93,569) + 17% superannuation
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students, and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 130 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMITs leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally focused graduates.
Our Values inspire us, wherever we are in the world, and guide how we live and work together.
Imagination. Agility. Courage. Passion. Impact. Inclusion.
What unites us is our purpose and our values; they are at the heart of who we are, what we stand for, how we make decisions and connect with each other.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices.
About the College
The College comprises three Schools delivering a broad range of programs in science, engineering, health and technology at higher education certificate, bachelor, masters and PhD levels. There is a vibrant research community attracting funding from a range of government and industry sources. The College has an annual income of approximately $500 million (with over $50 million in external research income p/a) and employs around 1,400 staff providing on and offshore programs to approximately 30,000 students (including 1,200 PhD students).
The School of Engineering comprises a diverse range of disciplines: Aerospace Engineering & Aviation; Chemical & Environmental Engineering; Civil & Infrastructure Engineering; Electrical & Biomedical Engineering; Electronic & Telecommunication Engineering; Manufacturing, Materials & Mechatronic Engineering; Mechanical & Automotive Engineering.
As a top 100 university in the world for engineering (2015 QS Rankings by Faculty; Engineering and Technology), RMIT Engineering provides students with work-relevant education programs, access to excellent research facilities and opportunities to engage in creative real-world project work through robust relations with local and international industry leaders.
About You & the Role
- Perform high-quality research and development activities in bitumen, asphalt and their respective modifications with polymers and/or additives in line with the Universitys research strategy
- Work independently as well as collaboratively within the project research teams contributing to competitive research outcomes and developing new research initiatives, as well as communicate and effectively present your research concepts and outcome through submission of high-quality papers, delivering seminars/webinars and attending conferences
- Pro-actively participate in various research development strategies of this research team in delivering impactful research outcomes and information that are relevant to the technical advancement in the project research area through documentation of project progress and projects reports to a national and internal audience
- Prepare and submit competitive research grant proposals and applications
- Support and assist the research performance and reputation of the School through effective liaison and network with industry and other research organisations involved in the research
- Contribute 10% of your time to mentor & supervise undergraduate students and participate in meetings as well as annual work planning & performance management processes and administrative functions related to the research project
You will have:
- Evidence of excellent track record of research output including publications, conference contributions and/or technical reports in the Civil Engineering - Asphalt/Bitumen field
- Sound understanding and good knowledge of Australian & international standards on bitumen/asphalt as well as hands-on experience with asphalt and bitumen testing in the laboratory
- High-level of focus, as well as strong organisational and analytical skills, equipped with ability to identify ways to perform experimental procedures successfully within a team environment in collaboration with project leaders, industry and/or other relevant stakeholders
- Ability to manage and plan time effectively and efficiently to conduct innovative research independently and collaboratively across multi-disciplinary team, industry and government to achieve project demands and outcomes
- Capability to communicate (both verbal and written) research findings and knowledge through demonstrated high-quality technical reports and presentational skills
Mandatory: PhD qualified or have recently submitted their thesis in the field of Civil Engineering.
Preferred: Completion of the Essentials in Tertiary Teaching Practice program or equivalent (if the appointed candidate does not meet this requirement at time of appointment, they will be supported to complete this as a requirement to fulfil their probation).
Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check.
Bring your whole self to work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond.
We are proud that our dedication to diversity has been recognized by a broad spectrum of external organizations. Visit our Linkedin Life pages to learn more and see some of our most recent wins.
Please submit your updated resume and cover letter outlining your experience & achievements by clicking on the 'Apply now link. Please note that a separate response to Key Selection Criteria as stated on the Position Description is required. For any enquiries regarding this role, Dr Filippo Giustozzi (firstname.lastname@example.org )
We are also happy to make adjustments to the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us via your preferred type of communication: email TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au or call Kassie on +61399252442 with your request(s).
Applications close Thursday 26th November 2020.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australias immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/