- Opportunity to provide technical and operational support to the oldest School of Psychology in Australia
- Located on the Camperdown Campus at the Faculty of Science
- Full-time, 3 years fixed term with a base salary of $76K - $85Kp.a. (HEO5), plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney is welcoming applications for a Research Assistant to provide technical and operational support to the Chief Investigator and the team of FRONTIER, the frontotemporal dementia clinical research group, to support research projects investigating frontotemporal dementia and associated disorders. This position involves coordinating multidisciplinary research assessments, carrying out the cognitive testing of study participants, participating in relevant meetings and contributing to administrative work in the area.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Research Assistant who has:
- an honours degree in Psychology or Clinical Neuroscience
- experience in cognitive testing with older adults or patients with dementia, either in a research or health setting.
- excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with sound negotiating and conflict resolution skills and a demonstrated level of tact and discretion in dealing with day to day operational matters
- strong problem-solving skills and the ability to use initiative, exercise sound judqement and the ability to prioritise workload during busy periods
- experience in developing and working on research projects, including expertise in using research protocols, experimental design, data manipulation and analysis, ethics submissions and grant applications
- experience in carrying out scientific literature searches, and preparing literature reviews for further analysis
- experience with data entry and database management. Experience with SPSS.
- an Australian Driver’s license
The Faculty of Science is one of six faculties operating within the University and includes the Schools of Chemistry, Geosciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics, Physics, Psychology, the Sydney School of Veterinary Science and the Unit for History and Philosophy of Science. The Faculty stewards a range of research entities including the Sydney Institute of Agriculture and the Lambert Initiative for Cannabinoid Therapeutics, and partners with University-wide research centres including the Charles Perkins Centre (CPC), the Brain and Mind Centre (BMC) and the Australian Institute for Nanoscale Science and Technology (AINST).
The School of Psychology provides an award course of accredited post-graduate training in clinical psychology Master of Clinical Psychology (MCP) and combined MCP & PhD and in addition, maintains a Psychology Clinic, a community clinical service that allows trainees who are enrolled in the MCP to gain mandatory placement experience.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 8,100 academic and non-academic staff who support over 73,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the position description available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 1220/1020F to apply.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Closing date: 11:30pm, Tuesday 10 November 2020
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.