Staff Scientist Assistant
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
This part-time staff scientist position is centered around experimental efforts to develop a methodology of transferring cryogenically-produced samples of organic materials from the glovebox to a vacuum chamber in a nanomechanical instrument. These samples will then be subjected to nanomechanical experiments, with relevant data being collected and analyzed.
- Design and construction of a small airtight chamber to transfer cryogenically solidified samples of organic materials from the glovebox to a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) chamber
- Imaging samples in SEM and mechanically deforming them
- The staff scientist will work closely with two graduate students in a research group who will train him/her to carry out the necessary experiments and to handle the materials related to this project.
- Other duties as assigned
- B.S. in physics or equivalent experience
- Prior experience in a research group