Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Contracting Officer reports to a Purchasing Team Lead and is a key member of the purchasing team. The Contracting Officer’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following: providing contract and subcontract administration with an emphasis on federally and privately funded subawards issued to universities, and non- and for-profit organizations, and handling moderate to complex procurements of goods and services.
Primary duties include:
- Preparing and issuing research subawards and subcontracts and processing through appropriate levels of review leading to execution.
- Post-award management activities including subcontract closeout for the Subcontracts group.
- Leading, conducting, and documenting moderate to complex procurement projects for the Institute.
- Developing and issuing solicitation documents, coordinating the evaluation of proposals, and negotiating specifications and terms and conditions
- Bachelor’s degree
- 4 years of purchasing experience which includes a minimum of 3 recent verifiable years of preparing, issuing, and administering federally and privately-funded research subawards and subcontracts
- A strong working knowledge of purchasing systems and customer service is essential
- The successful candidate must have the flexibility to work with both conceptual issues and with a high degree of detail and must be able to manage multiple deliverables and deadlines in a high volume production environment, while giving stellar customer service
- Experience in applying best business practices in government related subcontracts, a solid understanding of applicable laws, government regulations such as the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and the Uniform Guidance (UG)
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word and Excel, and experience with database tools
- Certified Professional Contracts Manager (CPCM) certificate and/or Master’s degree a plus