Stanford University, Department of Biochemistry is seeking a Purchasing Assistant at 50% FTE who has primary responsibility for purchasing, receiving, and tracking of all orders and delivery dates; assigning appropriate account numbers and expense types; establishing blanket orders; assisting in coordination of service contracts; records maintenance and payments, including clearing past commitments. The position will assist in contacting service vendors for copier, printers, and office equipment. Customer service and attention to detail are necessary for the success of our operations. This is a high-energy position that is expected to develop relationships with many faculty, students, staff, and suppliers.
- Procure/acquire research related supplies per customer requisition specifications; generate on-line purchase orders, notify/discuss any discrepancies with requestor.
- Requisition supplies and materials and create blanket requisitions for materials or equipment maintenance, reimburse expenses, and verify department purchase card transactions in an effective and timely manner.
- Process invoices and payments to vendors accurately and in a timely fashion. Use established systems to monitor payment to vendors. Follows-up as necessary with accounts payable and/or vendor. Clears commitments for orders/expense transactions from payment accounts.
- Inventories supplies and materials to maintain required inventory level.
- Monitor delivery schedules; make deliveries of supplies and materials or other items to designated areas, off-site locations, or other University departments as needed.
- Strictly observes privacy and security related policies, procedures, and practices to preserve the integrity and confidentiality of medical and other sensitive University information, safeguards and does not disclose protected health information.
- Acts as a responsible information steward and treats information as sensitive and confidential in accordance with federal and state laws and with professional ethics, accreditation standards and legal requirements.
- Maintain departmental directory.
- Assist Lab Manager with the Departmental Emergency Plan.
- Act as back-up lab manager or lab assistant during absences.
* - Other duties may also be assigned.
- Experienced in purchasing and receiving with basic knowledge of lab terms and supplies. Computer literate in software programs such as Outlook, MS Word, Excel, iProcurement, Oracle, Amazon, BI Reporting and Smartmart. Ability to work independently and remote during pandemic. Ability to problem solve purchasing related issues and seek resolution. Incumbent must be able to apply past practice and policies attained from Stanford trainings when processing purchase orders, account utilization and selecting expense code types. Ability to research and negotiate best pricing on products.
- Acts as back-up Lab Manager, in his/her absence.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
- High School Diploma plus 2 years relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, strong command of the English language, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal and telephone communication skills.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency.
- Data entry experience.
- Must be able to understand and apply policies, procedures, and protocols of the university.
- Familiarity with purchasing/inventory control procedures and/or Stanford University financial systems highly desirable.
- Ability to work with accuracy and attention to detail in a high-pressure environment.
- Frequently perform desk-based computer tasks, use a telephone, sit and use light/fine grasping.
- Occasionally stand, walk and write by hand, lift, carry, push, and pull objects weighing 10 pounds or less.
- Rarely kneel, crawl, climb, twist, bend, stoop, squat, reach or work above shoulders, grasp forcefully and sort, file paperwork or parts, lift, carry, push, and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Additional PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- May be required to lift more than 50lbs.
- This position may have the ability to work remote during the pandemic. Otherwise this position is located in the Beckman Center on campus and works within an office/lab area. This position is expected to be able to lift 50lbs and will be working in proximity of basic lab chemicals.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Part-time
- Job Code: 4410
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: E
- Requisition ID: 87465