School of Physics, Mathematics and Computing
Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering
- Fantastic opportunity for a Software Engineer to gain valuable experience in simulation technology, computational epidemiology and infectious disease modelling
- Full time, 12 month appointment
- Salary range: Level 7, $88,560 - $98,259 p.a. plus employer contributed superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
The University of Western Australia has significant expertise in the mathematical modelling of infectious diseases. In 2020, the Computer Science and Software Engineering research team developed a COVID-19 model, and have applied this model to evaluate disease control and mitigation measures. This research is continuing, to analyse future COVID-19 vaccination strategies, and to control outbreaks in aged-care facilities, for example. This work has both national and international significance.
About the opportunity
As the appointee you will work with Professor George Milne and colleagues, to develop new individual-based simulation model software and apply the models to analyse COVID-19 control measures and contribute to team-based publications. Along with other team members, you will be responsible for developing these new models.
This is an opportunity for someone who is looking to gain valuable experience in infectious disease modelling and to contribute to UWA’s scientific response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Relevant tertiary qualification and demonstrated competency with software development using C++ and/or Java and Python
- Substantial relevant experience in translating technical requirements into software designs
- Experience in modifying, enhancing or adapting existing software and integrating new features
- Experience in software maintenance, support and problem resolution
- Highly developed written and verbal communications skills
- Highly developed organisational skills and demonstrated ability to set priorities and to meet deadlines
- Analytical and problem solving skills
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description.
Closing date: Sunday, 29 November 2020
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Platinum Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2019).
- UWA has also been awarded Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation in 2020.