Food Service Worker I, Dishwasher/Porter
This position is represented by SEIU Local 2007 and the collective bargaining agreement between the university and SEIU Local 2007 governs the terms and conditions of employment.
Tuesday- Saturday; 6am-2:30pm
The anticipated shift is based on the operational needs and can change at any time with notice.
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $270 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 13,000 students and dependents, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 300,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 735 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology and Communications.
“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE,“Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”
I. Summary of Position
Responsibilities of the dishwasher include setting up, operating and breaking down dish machine, bussing and scraping trays and storing clean dishes and silverware. If assigned in pot washer area duties would include setting up, operating and breaking down pot sink, cleaning pots and kitchen supplies and putting away clean items. Other duties include general maintenance of building. Routine cleaning of bathrooms. Emptying garbage in dish room, kitchen and dining room areas. Sweeping and mopping dining, kitchen and serving areas. Some maintenance of outside areas of facility.
II. Essential Job Functions
- Responsibilities in dish room include setting up, operating and breaking down dish machine, bussing and scraping trays and storing clean dishes and silverware.
- If assigned in pot washer area duties would include setting up, operating and breaking down pot sink, cleaning pots and kitchen supplies and putting away clean items.
- Other duties include general maintenance of building.
- Routine cleaning of bathrooms. Emptying garbage in dish room, kitchen and dining room areas.
- Sweeping and mopping dining, kitchen and serving areas. Some maintenance of outside areas of facility.
- Follow guidelines for personal hygiene and personal attire.
- Remove and break down all boxes from kitchen and recycle.
- Empty all trash containers regularly throughout the day.
- Clean all sinks in kitchen and servery, and restock with paper towels and soap.
- Throughout the day, sweep and mop kitchen, servery and hallway.
- Daily cleaning of walk-in, kitchen walls and shelving.
- Clean and sanitize tables and food service areas as needed. Keep floor in work area clean and free of debris.
- Clean up spills during meal service immediately.
- Help set up serving line for meals.
- Be available to assist customers with questions regarding food items/ingredients and any assistance they may need
- Cleans and maintains prep area.
- Attend classes, meetings, and training sessions as requested by manager.
- Follow policies and regulations of the University and Department. Report problems to manager right away.
- Ensure proper serving utensils are available.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Flexibility with work assignments.
- Compliance with safety and sanitation standards and work rules.
- Regular and consistent attendance.
- Ability to work as a team member on diverse workforce.
- Respectful and professional behavior.
- Knowledge of proper safety and sanitation principles when operating equipment and using cleaning supplies.
- Flexibility with work assignments.
- Able to stand most of the work day.
- Must be able to lift heavy objects occasionally up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with co-workers, manager and customers.
- Must be able to read cautionary labels on cleaning products.
- Must be able to work in hot temperatures, seasonal environment, with daily exposure to hot water.
- Prior kitchen experience or basic knowledge of food preparation techniques desired.
IV. English Proficiency Requirements:
Must have the ability to understand and communicate in English with adequate proficiency to follow directions from supervisor, read and understand safety guidelines and directions to prevent accidents or injuries from occurring, and communicate effectively with customers (staff, visitors, students) by listening and speaking clearly to them.
V. Physical Requirements:
Ability to stand for prolonged periods, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push and pull items. Physical agility critical to perform essential job functions. Lift up to 25-50 pounds must have manual dexterity. Ability to work around hot equipment (stoves, grills, ovens).
Working Conditions and Frequency of Occurrence:
- Extreme Temperature Changes (10%-30%)
- Walking (30%-60%)
- Standing (50%-80%)
- Sitting (10%-20%)
- Bending (10%-50%)
- Squatting (10%-20%)
- Hand and Finger Dexterity (10%-40%)
- Reaching (10%-50%)
- Climbing (10%-20%)
- Noise (90%-100%)
- Lifting, Carrying, Pushing, Pulling
- Up to 10 Pounds (30%-60%)
- Up to 25 Pounds (20%-50%)
- Up to 50 Pounds (10%-20%)
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7285
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: A60
- Requisition ID: 87498