Director of the Quattrone Nanofabrication Facility
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
The Director of the Quattrone Nanofabrication Facility will direct all aspects of the operation of Penn’s 10,000 square foot Quattrone Nanofabrication Facility. The Director will: Serve as the primary interface between the Facility and its users. Ensure the safety and security of users and equipment through coordination and consultation with staff, Building Manager, Environmental Health and Radiation Safety, Public Safety, Central Facilities, and other parties. Oversee establishment and enforcement of operating procedures and safety protocols. Manage staff, budget, billing, and purchasing of supplies and maintenance services. Specify, purchase, and deploy facility management software/hardware to integrate equipment reservations, equipment enabling, billing, and report generation. Represent Penn to external clients and academic visitors. Expand customer base of industrial and academic clients to develop revenue for the facility. Participate in developmental research; assist in writing proposals for Facility funding. Work with Faculty and other stake holders to specify, purchase, install, and commission new nanofabrication equipment and materials. Oversee the training of new and existing users and the development/documentation of nanofabrication processes.
The Singh Center for Nanotechnology at the University of Pennsylvania is seeking a Director of the Quattrone Nanofabrication Facility (QNF). The QNF is the largest of the three shared user facilities that comprise the Singh Center. QNF operates a state-of-the-art research cleanroom with over 10,000 square feet of clean space, with a suite of over 80 fabrication and metrology tools for lithography, etch, deposition, and packaging. The QNF is staffed with 9 technicians, engineers, and scientists to maintain the facility and serve internal and external users. Established in 2014, the QNF is entering a new phase in which its future Director will have the opportunity to lead and develop our nationally recognized nanofabrication facility in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Lead a staff of nine technicians, engineers, and scientists, unifying them into a team to execute on our center’s mission to serve and enable users;
- Set operational policies for the lab and clearly communicate these policies to both staff and users;
- Ensure the safety and security of users and equipment through coordination and consultation with staff, Building Management, Environmental Health and Radiation Safety, and Public Safety;
- Oversee the establishment and enforcement of operating procedures and safety protocols, training new and existing users, and developing and documenting nanofabrication processes;
- Manage the budget, billing, purchasing of supplies and maintenance services;
- Serve as the primary interface between the facility and its users by representing the Singh Center and Penn to external clients and academic visitors;
- Work with faculty and other stakeholders to propose, specify, purchase, install, and commission new nanofabrication equipment and materials;
- Establish a cooperative inter-facility relationship with directors of the other two facilities resident in the Singh Center to best serve users;
- Assist in expanding the customer base of new industrial and academic users; and
- Enable our substantial educational mission in experimental nanotechnology, which requires the extensive use of lab resources.
- An M.S. or Ph.D. degree in a nano-relevant engineering or physical science discipline is preferred.
- Experience with the wide diversity of projects and materials that are encountered in a creative university clean room environment is essential.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills in order to interact with researchers, students, TAs, staff, and faculty is essential.
- Ability to work for long periods of time in a cleanroom environment is essential.
- Ability to work together with the other two Facilities Directors as a team to further the overall strategic goals of the Singh Center is essential.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Engineering and Applied Science
$88,861.00 - $168,837.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.