Postdoctoral Research Position at the Laboratory of Integrable Systems and Turbulence of the CAS
Open competition for a postdoctoral research position at the Skoltech Laboratory of Integrable Systems and Turbulence of the Center for Advanced Studies (CAS)
The Laboratory of Integrable Systems and Turbulence of the Center for Advanced Studies (CAS) at the Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology (Skoltech) in Moscow opens competition among young researchers and invites applications for a postdoctoral research position in the field of mathematical physics. The focus of the research is the implementation of the research program of the Russian Science Foundation grant No. 19-72-30028 “Turbulence and coherent structures in integrable and non-integrable systems”. The selection of applications will be carried out by the Commission under the leadership of the head of the Laboratory (Dr. Vladimir Zakharov).
The research program includes the following research areas:
- The hydrodynamics of an ideal fluid with a free boundary, the theory of wave turbulence, the theory of integrability, theoretical and numerical study of Hamiltonian wave systems, numerical simulation.
- Development of the analytical theory of ocean wind waves, numerical modeling of the theory’s main tool – the wave kinetic equation in the framework of the theory of weak wave turbulence. Development of a model of wind waves of the open ocean as applied to limited basins, taking into account the coastline.
- Turbulence in integrable systems, analytical and numerical methods. For optical information transmission lines, investigate the problem of spontaneous generation of integrable turbulence and the appearance of waves of extreme amplitude.
- The unsteady potential flow of a deep two-dimensional fluid with a free boundary.
The winner of the competition will carry out the following activities:
- Research of the formation of killer waves on the surface of the ocean;
- Numerical modeling of the appearance of killer waves using the Hamiltonian formalism;
- Research of the integrability of fluid dynamics with a free boundary or its simplified models;
- Creation of turbulence models on the ocean surface taking into account wind pumping;
- Creation of effective numerical codes for modeling water waves and wave turbulence in optics.
Requirements for applicants:
- age under 36 years old;
- the scientific degree of candidate of science or the Ph.D. degree obtained at a foreign university and recognized on the territory of the Russian Federation;
- experience in the field of mathematical physics and in the other fields of the research program;
- the absence of labor relations with the Skolech (including external part-time work) from January 1, 2019, until the day of the announcement of the competition;
- at least four publications (WoS and Scopus).
To submit an application please visit: https://ученые-исследователи.рф/ – choose vacancy ID VAC_70409 (print in the search area “Научный сотрудник в Лабораторию интегрируемых систем и турбулентности”) or at the link https://ученые-исследователи.рф/public/vacancies/view/70409
Applications submission deadline – November 16, 2020, 00:00 Moscow, Russia time.
Winners announcement – no later than November 27, 2020, 23:55 Moscow, Russia time
The application documents list:
- Application form
- A CV in free form, with a list of scientific papers, certificates for inventions, implemented in the practice of large projects and developments, if any
- Research statement
- Statement of Purpose/Motivation letter
- References from experts in the specified field of science (at least two)
- Copy of higher education document
- Copy of the Ph.D. degree (or equivalent)
- Scientific papers of the candidate (optional)
- Recommendation of the supervisor from the previous place of work (at the discretion of the applicant)
- Other documents confirming the level of qualification of the applicant (at the discretion of the applicant)
Applicants should submit only one application (if several applications are submitted, then the latter one is considered for participation in the competition).
The absence of the full package of documents may be the reason for rejecting the application.
The application must be submitted in Russian or English. Documents in languages other than Russian or English must be provided with a translation into Russian or English. Documents provided in languages other than Russian and English without translation, will not be accepted for evaluation.
Terms of appointment
The employment agreement will be signed with the competition winner by December 23, 2020, with the subsequent renewal for the period not exceeding 12 (twelve) months each, and completing the ending period of grant financing.
Benefits include medical insurance and relocation package may be offered for non-residents of the Moscow region (subject to Skoltech internal regulations).
About the Laboratory of Integrable Systems and Turbulence
The Laboratory is led by academician Dr. Vladimir Zakharov – a recipient of State Prize for research in Plasma Theory (USSR, 1987), Order of Honors from the State (USSR, 1989), State Prize of Russian Federation for research in Soliton Theory (Russia, 1993), Order for the Service to Russian federation, awarded to 60th anniversary (1999), Dirac Medal of the Abdul Sallam International Center for Theoretical Physics (Trieste, Italy, 2003), and the Namesake of asteroid 7153 Vladzakharov. Dr. Zakharov is a Fellow of the American Mathematical Society since 2012.
The research, performed in the Laboratory is devoted to the study of turbulence and coherent structures, as well as their mutual influence in the integrable and non-integrable systems. The research performed is not only at the world level but in many ways ahead of it. Members of the Laboratory are the world leaders in the scientific directions of studying hydrodynamics, nonlinear waves, turbulence, ocean-atmosphere interaction.
For more information on Skoltech, please visit www.skoltech.ru.