Technician, Department of Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENIVORNMENT AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF MECHANICAL AND AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING
PEROMNES LEVEL 08
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
A full-time 1-year position is available for a mechanical engineering technician to assist with the construction and testing of a solar Brayton cycle prototype at the University of Pretoria. The prototype will consist of a solar dish that will concentrate solar power onto a solar receiver which will heat air in a Brayton cycle for power generation and water heating.
- Technical support to build and test the prototype.
- Occupational Health and Safety representative as well as First-Aider.
- Management of the solar research facility.
- Assist with rapid prototyping.
- Installation and general maintenance of the solar dish, solar tracking system, solar receiver and micro-turbine system.
- BTech/BEng/BSc Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Excellent communication skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Good at working with hands/power tools.
- Welding and manufacturing skills.
- Be able to work in very hot conditions (outside in the sun).
- Good at working in a team of researchers and engineers.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- ECSA Registration
- Laboratory experience including laboratory management;
- Experience with AC and DC Motors.
- Experience with piping systems, HVAC, general mechanical systems, electrical circuits and sensors.
- Experience with solar thermal power systems, micro-turbines and combustion systems.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The all-inclusive remuneration package for this contract position will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP. In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 4 November 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Dr WG le Roux, (email@example.com), Tel: (012) 420 2446 for application-related enquiries, and Me E Greyling, (firstname.lastname@example.org), Tel: (012) 420 2100 for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 January 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under- represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.